Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
OK, so they close the four parks and save $200,000.

They could let four employees go and save the same amount, if not more. Or they could raise the daily parks pass fee by $1.00-I'm sure they sell more than 200,000 passes in a year.

I just don't understand the thinking here.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
I thought the state parks made more money than ever last year? And they're raising the the cost of state park passes this year? And they still need budget cuts? Sounds like some major BS to me....it seems like the state is just finding new ways to screw us over...Pretty soon there won't be anywhere to fish or hunt.

·
Registered
910 Posts
they aren't using your parks fees for parks.
it's just general revenue and it ain't enough for them.

'Crash taxes' are growing in popularity among cash-strapped California cities

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/30/business/la-fi-crash-tax-20101231

At least 50 cities in the state have adopted so-called crash-tax laws allowing local governments to seek reimbursement from insurance companies for the costs of sending public emergency crews to accident scenes. The fees can amount to hundreds or even thousands of dollars. If insurers don't pay, cities can hire collection agents to seek payment from the motorists involved.

Billing crash victims might seem heartless. But public officials said that budget woes are compelling them to find new ways to raise revenue. Over the last six years, Costa Mesa, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Santa Ana, Hemet and other cities have started charging fees for accident-related public services.

·
Registered
297 Posts
shutupandfish said:
I thought the state parks made more money than ever last year? And they're raising the the cost of state park passes this year? And they still need budget cuts? Sounds like some major BS to me....it seems like the state is just finding new ways to screw us over...Pretty soon there won't be anywhere to fish or hunt.
there's a great place to fish or hunt.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must have read the article a bit differently than you guys. This is a five year plan and includes AT LEAST four parks.

The four outlined may not be the only parks to close according to the article.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Since State Parks no longer get money from the State General Fund, they will have to do something to address that shortfall. I'm not a fan of closing parks, but that seems to be the most palatable option. It's not just $200,000 that they are going to have to come up with. The article mentioned $6,700,000 in General Funds they received in the past.

If someone has a better idea on how to cut costs I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
910 Posts

Decertify all public employees unions, cut their wages and put all their money into defined-contribution 401k's.

In the long run, that's the only way any governmental entity in this country is going to avoid bankruptcy.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I don't have a problem with them closing some state parks as long as they keep stocking the lakes and leaving them open to the public. Tough enough keeping the zebra inspectors employed at places like John Martin. Talked to the inspector at John Martin in October and he said he felt like the Maytag repair man out there...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
fischer,

Right you are, in the long run these public employee union contracts will have to be re-negociated or we're all gonna have to get 2nd jobs just to pay the taxes that fund their retirement.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
fischer said:

Decertify all public employees unions, cut their wages and put all their money into defined-contribution 401k's.

In the long run, that's the only way any governmental entity in this country is going to avoid bankruptcy.
Agreed, but I don't think that will solve this problem.

·
Registered
910 Posts
ayup. with decreased revenue, they'll have to cut services and increase fees in order to balance the budget. I doubt people will approve tax increases if asked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
so what does that mean? if we cant use them its a problem, if we can still use them without the state parks presence who cares. much better places without the gustapo, fee hungry state parks. john martin was a much better place before the state parks. since they took over, less access and more fees, what a bargain (sarcasm). just my humble opinion.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts