Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post discussion on open water – But – Which would work best for use on rivers – Class 1 – 3 water (Class 3 minimal) for fishing floats. The floats will be 4 – 20 miles depending on river flows. Could be very little flow with many shallows or high. I have never used either, having fished canoes with two persons typically. Now fishing single:mad: (son in college). If you recommend a Fishing Kayak, which type for moving water that can fish fly rods and small spincast? Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Check out the Jackson Coosa for moving water. The Old Town MX is also designed for moving water. They both have hulls shaped for manuverability and stability on rivers. But neither are really an open water boat.

I am planning on getting a yak for stillwaters using fly & conventional. My needs are a bit different than those boats. But I honestly can‘t think of any rivers here in Colorado that I would try to float fish from a kayak. Drift boat or raft with someone, sure. But no chance I would try to go solo.

So are you going to be doing point to point floats solo, or will you at some point need to go up stream to get back to your vehicle. If youre going to do an out and back trip, you would likely want to stick with the kayak instead of a pontoon.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I don't know about class 3 rapids, but I picked up a NuCanoe off craigslist that the former owner used to take down rivers in Texas while flyfishing. It's stable enough that I can stand and paddle or cast...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just ordered a Jackson Big Tuna. It is a tandem kayak that is convertible to a solo boat (Good for when your son comes home from school).
Some people do use them on rivers. Found this video of a guy hitting a rapid on the Chattahoochee. Looks like a class II rapid maybe (I don‘t know white water ratings very well)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Those look like class 2 to me also. He is not rigged to flip and if he did that rod in the holder would be gone or toast. For solo fishing out of a boat on rivers I would go with a Infatable kayak, small raft or pontoon boat. Air, Hyside, Jacks plastics SOAR make some good ones. Avoid Sea Eagle like the plague as well as sevlor. But the reality is that you are not going to be able to fish well from a boat solo in most CO rivers. You can paddle or you can fish but you will not do both well at the same time. Also from a practicality and safety standpoint you will need a second person. There are a lot of hazards on rivers and not having a second person to help with rescuing you or your boat when SHTF is a bad idea.

That being said I have been known to float the Rincon to Vallie bridge section of the Ark solo in my IK to fish. Mostly stopping and getting out to fish good spots and then heading down stream. The first time I did it was after doing lots of google fu to find out the beta on the run. I ran royal gorge the in the morning with a group and headed up ther ein the afternoon solo and planned on hitching a ride back up. I got distracted by fishing while paddling. Saw some whitewater coming up, tried to make an eddy to get out and scout it and missed it. Went down the drop sideways, flipped and lost a fly rod. Managed to hold onto the boat and paddle so I was not completely up shits creek. (Not my first swim!) But I always have a spare paddle strapped to the boat just in case I lose one. But if I had lost hold of the boat, went into a sweeper or had a foot entrapment i could have had a shitty day. Got down to the take out and found some rafters to give me a ride back up. Now is where it gets funny. He was a carpenter named Hans... Who had 8 1/2 fingers... When we got on the road was when I realized he was shitfaced.... Best to arrange a shuttle with people you know.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have done some fishing out of a 8 ft water skeeter pontoon in rivers as well, very similar to the TU boat. Mostly in Idaho on the Boise and Payette rivers. The fins get to be pretty useless when you get into any fast water or class 3 and need to make a move fast. Next year I hope to do the Ark in pueblo while the water is a bit high for wade fishing. I don't know of many other good places to fish out of one in CO. Maybe some of the N Platte in WY near grey reef?. I heard rumors of a stretch of a river above a reservoir down south.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've never fished from a kayak, but I have an 8 ft pontoon I have used on several rivers including the Green below Flaming Gorge which is rated as class 3. The toon is very stable. The real difference, I think, is that in a toon you can use you feet/flippers to position and move the boat a bit, so you can actually fish while floating. I can't see how you'd do that in a kayak. As pointed out by an earlier reply, when you hit the rapids, you put your feet on the pegs and row.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts