Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a member of Colorado Waterfowlers for a couple years but got tired of skybusters and guys that have very few ethics when it comes to hunting and also never getting the good spots because some ranger got in before i did. So anyone got any other choices out there. I like to kill a duck or 2 and love shooting geese. Just wondering what else is out there. I think my days of heading to Walden Res for opening day are over so i need a few other choices.....

Fish

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well me and my buddies go on up northeast alittle past N.sterling to hunt on the river. Tamarack area holds some good hunting for waterfowl. A few geese have come down but only long enough to check you out but just a bit lower then the tree tops. Find a good area with a split of the river and set up a few goose decoys. Umm Theres a sign in early in the morning though. I think it opens at 4am ( not too sure ). Theres like over 50 places to hunt. The real cool thing is that you have about a good football field to hunt to yourself. First come first serve kinda thing but try not to head up there on opening days. Its jammed packed with hunters and most of the times its all reserved before hand. And if you like hunting close to home up north, We perfer to go to boyd lake.

.steve.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Like steve said, tamarack ranch is the way to go, if you don't mind the drive. You can reserve a spot up to 2 weeks in advance, so while your out there do some checking around and figure out what units you might like to try. The booth to check in opens at 4, and unless it's opening weekend of pheasent, you can almost always find a spot (east). The west units are usually the first to fill, as these always seem to produce the best. The only other place i hit is wellington, but if skybusters are what your trying to get away from, i'd stay far away from this place. I've seen my fare share of 100+ yard shots at this place, and a few that i doubt i could hit w/ my 7mm remington!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess what I need to do is head out to Tamarack sometime this summer and figure out a good place or 2 to reserve. I just have never been a fan of reserving a place to hunt but i know up there thats the thing to do. I do go duck hunting on North Sterling reservoir and for a public lake I never run into many guys out there. The opening of Snow goose season it was nice those guys were skybusting the duck into my decoys. Have been told Wellington has potential that Colorado Waterfowlers had i place just south of Wellington I liked just would like to find a place that doesnt cost 10K to lease that i can kill a couple birds...

Thanks

Fish

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Flyfish,

You aint gotta dish out an arm and a leg to get good waterfowl spots. Maybe for geese, but if you're fine with mostly duck hunting, just head out and try some of the S. Platte SWA's. I've got a couple of spots (sorry I was put on oath not to tell about the ones I go to) that rarely sees pressure on the weekdays. And MonkeysButt is right, Tamarack does open at 04:00.

Have you ever tried Red Lion past Crook and near Jumbo Res? That's a good spot that I go to and it does get alotta pressure, but it can be real good on weekdays. I've dropped snows there and a few Canada geese. I know you wanna steer away from skybusters, but you might turn into one temporarily as I did (depending on the flock and how close in they are). That's how I got my canadian geese. Imagine this: sitting in your makeshift blind calling in ducks and then a flock of 5 or 6 honkers swoop within 15 to 20 yards directly above your head, I'll be darned if you don't take a shot. If I was a better shot, I would have had doubles that day. And as for the snows, we got lucky and we were there on a very windy/rainy/snowy day during a week or two before Thanksgiving. Those were sky-busted too...... At about 15 yards worth of sky LOL!! Heck, some of the ducks that we dropped were even further out than the geese.

Now I'm not promoting skybusting, believe me. I don't dig it when people are shooting at birds 50 to 100 yards in the air either. That's how I started goose hunting, but I moved on to fields, goose-shells and bigfooters. What I'm saying is just try those options in the meantime until you find that special lease you're looking for.

We used to have permission for a chunk of land out south of Wellington (exit 265) but the farmer's tendants messed up on him and then he got really strict and stopped letting us hunt there. That USED to be our only honker honeyhole. Now it's just duck hunting and then the occasional within range skybust if that chance comes.... That chance only comes like once or twice per season, but I don't mind.

PM me for the Red Lion directions, if you don't already have em. That spot is already known practically by the whole waterfowling community of Colorado, but if you don't know maybe you should check it out. Oh and one more thing..... Jumbo Reservoir's holdover stocker trout get up into the 4-5 pound range there too... CAST & BLAST!! However, you can only hunt ducks on Jumbo....

Hope this lengthy reply helps...

1eyeReD

Oh BTW, I've been wanting to try NorthPark for waterfowl too.. Can you be of some help?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Northpark in a nut shell has a ton of water and even more hunters. I guess i've been going opening day at Walden Res. for about 5 years now. The first time we went I kid you not we emptied boxes of shells and were into birds from legal till clear into 10:30 in the morning and then at 2:30 it all started back again. My experience with Walden Res is this. Either there are too many guys or not enough because after the first gunshot it sounds like Afganistan for the next 2 hours. Let last 2 years this guy goes out in his kayak and kicks the birds up which basically never works but thats kinda what it's come too. Now there is a big wildlife refuge just east of Walden called Arapaho National Refuge. Now from experience do not ask the DOW guy what you can hunt on that property. Last year I ask he said everything east of the highway which after getting hauled off in the refuge truck for being in the wrong section. So luckily he kind of came clean when the refuge people called him but i learned a valuable lesson DOW guys don't know much either, Now Arapahoe has a river running through it which I would suspect would hold ducks. LOL the section i wasn't suppose to hunt head 100's of ducks. But it has way too much pressure the only think i kicked up was a Bull Moose. I see guys hunt the Delaneys kinda a Cast and Blast thing we had a couple great shots at ducks from my drift boat just didnt think the family out on a saturday float would appreciate us knocking ducks out of the sky in front of their kids so we decided to fish. Now the other part to North Park is there are just a ton of SWA which have rivers in them and my experience is they all get alot of pressure. So here is what I am going to do this year. Instead of heading up there opening weekend go about 2 weeks after i imagine the pressure is gone and there is a lot of jump shooting opportunites up there.

Hope that helps a little....

I believe I am going to head to Spinney this year for openign day I hear there is very little pressure up there.....

I am planning on scouting up along the platte see if i can't find something going on. And not 10-20 yards to me isn't skybusting but go to North Sterling sometime and watch these morons lay on their back shooting into a tornado of snow geese it's funny and sad all at the same time.....

Fish

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Kewl, thanx. Yeah, I normally almost never hunt opening day for waterfowl. That's the one day I try to avoid most. However, opening day for teal east of I-25 is not all that bad. But once again, thanks. I'll avoid opening day up there too.

·
Registered
234 Posts
monkies_butt said:
Well me and my buddies go on up northeast alittle past N.sterling to hunt on the river. Tamarack area holds some good hunting for waterfowl. A few geese have come down but only long enough to check you out but just a bit lower then the tree tops. Find a good area with a split of the river and set up a few goose decoys. Umm Theres a sign in early in the morning though. I think it opens at 4am ( not too sure ). Theres like over 50 places to hunt. The real cool thing is that you have about a good football field to hunt to yourself. First come first serve kinda thing but try not to head up there on opening days. Its jammed packed with hunters and most of the times its all reserved before hand. And if you like hunting close to home up north, We perfer to go to boyd lake.

.steve.
I'm Sorry to hear that is still happening to CWA. I was a member a long time ago when a guy named Clay had it. I stayed in it for 5 yrs. and got out for the same reason.

All I can say, some clubs don't charge as much as other but then again don't have the waterfowl property like others.
If you are a Hunter you might want to look into High Plains. They don't have the best waterfowl propertys but if you do your homework you can find the holes others are not willing to work for (Walk) High Plains offers big game /small game & fishing for 600.00 a year and that's a family membership. That's not bad if you check and see what pit's are going for these days. Good luck on your season.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Masterbaiter,

Good point. I haven't decided if I wanna be a part of any club yet, but High Plains is something I would consider. $600/a family/a year aint bad at all. Just pitch in with some hunting buddies (your family ;D) and then you're good.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya i joined the last year Clay had CWA. There were some improvements like sinking the blind covers but just the way things were left by hunters in front of you was just horrible. So i've been hunting and pecking trying to find a place to make a weekend out of it. I figure for 600 bucks i can take 3 or 4 long weekend trips with my buddies and have twice as much fun. Thats why i asked where some good spots were to hunt....

Fish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts