Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does iphone not have built in GPS already? I know my android does.
But more than that the description says cut throat and wild trout. Not sure I like that- seems limited. Descripion also says it will locate 1300 fishin holes. Well, that is a lot, but if it only finds cut throat and "wild trout" then Im positive the majority of those holes are pretty week.

I use the fishing atlas that CDOW provides, it covers all fish in all CDOW places. http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/fishingatlas/
It has info on what fish you will find there and any regs and such. Takes a minute to come up in my browser, but I can look at it any time for free (save for the phone bill) anytime to plan out a trip.
So, while the iphone app looks cool and all, at $30.00 it is far too expensive to get half the info when you can get all the info for free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The app is really designed for guys who want to go into the wilderness and want to pursue native cuts or wild brown, brook, rainbow, or cutbow trout rather than for the general fishing population. It has a highly specialized market.

You are also right about phones having a GPS receiver but apps can use this in many different ways. This app has a custom navigation map that is viewable over USGS topo maps as well as roadmaps that cache on the phone so you can use it in the field without phone service.

It includes a navigation compass that allows you to set waypoints on the map and then guides you to those waypoints. You can even save your favorite spots as waypoints for future use.

The map also displays federal and state lands for guidance as far as public access.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
CF is sort if the smoking room of internet fishing forums. Not sure how much of your target market will see your advertisement here. Cool ap though. I'm sure its worth the 30 bucks to someone. Trimble GPS Pro Fish is free but it doesn't pinpoint the specific spots. I guess some poeole like the process of seeking out and finding there own spot. Others want it essily shown to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably about 1 in 100 readers might be interested. The app just came out Sunday after about 6 months of sweat and toil. I'm a one man company and invest a lot in my apps.

Interestingly, My GPS Fishing Guide to Pennsylvania got a lot of the same comments early on but now has a dedicated following even though it is not nearly as comprehensive as this app. You just need to reach the right people.

I appreciate all the dialogue here. It's tough to get the pulse of the market otherwise.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Hopefully you make some money from your app. I really don't see the worth of $30 bones to find troutski's, not the hardest fish to find in this state.Then again been chasing them along time. Maybe a newbie or with xmas coming up someone might get this for a diehard angler they know.

Good Luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why would anyone spend 30$ on this app? I mean I like the concept, but wild trout are incredibly easy to find in CO. Most rivers and streams west of Denver that are large enough to hold fish have plenty of wild trout.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts