Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kinda have buyer's remorse for getting a Colorado XT personal pontoon. I've taken it out twice and it just doesn't work for me. It's great to travel on, and it could be a decent platform to fish from. My problem is I fly fish, and if there's even a little bit of wind I spend all my time on the oars instead of fishing. There's a little tear on the seat(caught it on the gate bringing it into the yard). Other than that, it's brand new. I have everything that came with it(oars, stripping basket, etc). I also bought a small anchor for it. It's a 9 footer and it's orange. I've seen it for sale any where from over 600 bucks(Cabelas) to around 400 bucks(Sportsmen's). I would like to trade it for a 3-4 person Quick Fish shelter or equivalent and a used but working power auger. If interested, let me know...If not, I'll start working on modifications an make the pontoon so I CAN fish out of it.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Have you tried using fins to keep you in place when casting? I have a toon.... and I use my fins 90% of the time and oars maybe 10% if that.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Fins make all the difference except when you get up to 10-15 mph. Then pontoons catch a lot of wind.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Boy howdy....Rvinson and Slayer have it right. I use my fins well over 90% of the time. When lake fishing the only time I use my oars is when I want to get somewhere else on the lake quicker or if the wind comes up and paddling with the oars isn't hacking it. On the other hand I never wear fins when I run rivers but use my oars extensively. Getting the right set of fins makes all the difference.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I'd say that I fish out of my toon 70% of the time or more. I've had it for twenty years or so and love it. Yep, fins are your friend, but a trolling motor can't be beat in the wind. Between my fins and the electric, I can basically spot lock. Just put your back to the wind and the trolling motor in reverse. You usually won't need more than speed one in reverse unless it's howling. You'll stay right where you want to fish. New motor $100 Battery $75 and $35 to register.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I'd say that I fish out of my toon 70% of the time or more. I've had it for twenty years or so and love it. Yep, fins are your friend, but a trolling motor can't be beat in the wind. Between my fins and the electric, I can basically spot lock. Just put your back to the wind and the trolling motor in reverse. You usually won't need more than speed one in reverse unless it's howling. You'll stay right where you want to fish. New motor $100 Battery $75 and $35 to register.
Keep in mind once you add the TM you will need to register it and paying the reg. fee annually($35.25 for 2017). Stick to the oars and fins and no registration is required(for now.....)

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
What Hobie said is GOLD! In the buy and sell section I have a TM mount, battery box and trolling motor for sale that should fit your unit although I thought those XT's came with a TM mount on them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was only on it twice...haven't tried the fins yet. One of the modifications I was thinking of is a standing platform which, I think, would be difficult with fins on. It does have a mount for a trolling motor, which I would modify as well. I also think a swivel seat would be nice. I guess my main reason for the "buyers remorse" was that I was looking at one of those Hobie kayaks the other day...Damn those things are nice.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
It floats and has a motor, but it aint a boat!

Hey if I didnt have a real boat, thats what I would be running also-

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i don't know if that thing is rated for passengers hobie.. LOL it looks like it may be a bit loaded down as mine used to look like everytime my big butt was in the one i used to have. your's i'm sure is just loaded with extra equipment of course. :)

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Haha...Actually it's just about perfect now. Sit low in the water...you don't catch any wind. Two ...Three more suspend dots on the bow..should just about even it out.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O.k... I thought by sitting higher on the water that my fins that I use with the belly boat wouldn't do much good. I decided to try the toon again last Saturday and damned if they aint just dandy. I hardly used the oars at all. Had some wind for a little over an hour and she handled just fine. Maybe 15 mph. tops, but she could have handled a little more just fine. I think I used a little bit different leg muscles as I felt it at the end of the day. Oh...and the windy time of the day was the only time I got any bites. It was like a damn light switch. No bites at all before the wind...5 walleyes, 3 crappies, and an 18" trout in about the 1.5 hours of wind or so...wind died and no more bites. And moderator...You can move this if you feel like it, the toon aint available any more...gonna keep it. Still gonna get a new shelter and auger though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts