Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
GK tried his best to give away that game! YES CAM, I SAID IT!!!

SO, your up by 5 with 6 seconds left and the other team calls time out... One of the most basic, but necessary things to say/do is to emphisize that IF the oponent scores, immediately call time out. This should have been discussed in the huddle...

One of two things happened.... either it was, and KM disregarded the order, or the more likely scenario (as GK didn't call it himself) is it was never even discussed.

This is yet another example of horrible use of time outs and clock management. Time out should have, without a doubt been called. I also believe that would have moved the ball to half court.

It is the details in the fourth where GK is constantly making mistakes. I promise there will be more to come. And I will be happy to point it out every time.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Really...I think missing 9 of 20 free throws in the fourth is what made it close...

And winning 5 out of 6 since Melo was traded ...and the one loss by a point...Gallinari injured and out....I'm gonna give Karl an A since the trade.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
hobiecat said:
Really...I think missing 9 of 20 free throws in the fourth is what made it close...

And winning 5 out of 6 since Melo was traded ...and the one loss by a point...Gallinari injured and out....I'm gonna give Karl an A since the trade.
Karl has, and will do very well with this team, and any other he coaches. I have never said different.

My point was not why the game was close, it was observing a horrible coaching oversight that could have cost us the game.

We missed free throws against Portland too, that is a problem... the players fault 100%. BUT, there was poor clock management in that game too. GK is weak in his fourth quarter usage of time outs and clock management in general. This contributes to his piss poor playoff results, when it really counts.

You know Hobie, it seems like you are defending his mistake by talking about a different issue all together. Why not just admit it was a mistake? Can you do that? really?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Sorry...I didn't realize the title of the thread was Karl mismanages clock yet nuggets win in spite of his ineptitude..... :p

Destroyed Memphis by 13
Beatdown Boston by 14
Lost a squeaker to Portland by 1
Won by 10 against Atlanta
Destroyed Charlotte by 40 points
Won against Utah by 2 on the road

I'm still giving him an A.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
hobiecat said:
Sorry...I didn't realize the title of the thread was Karl mismanages clock yet nuggets win in spite of his ineptitude..... :p

Destroyed Memphis by 13
Beatdown Boston by 14
Lost a squeaker to Portland by 1
Won by 10 against Atlanta
Destroyed Charlotte by 40 points
Won against Utah by 2 on the road

I'm still giving him an A.
So was it a mistake not calling time out? (I didn't realize the title of this thread is because we are 5-1 since the trade, that changes the weight of GK's hands).

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I like George I think he misses the obvious sometimes...I would still take Sloan over him...I hope Sloan get hired in NY and makes Smello burn in conditioning hell...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I do like George. That being said. He reminds me of Marty Schottenhimer. Good coach. Always has winning competitive teams, but can't come through in the clutch.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Kmart flubbed it...but I remember a Laker series where Karl teams couldnt get the ball in twice and changed the complexion of the series...and may have cost them the western conference finals...and possibly the title...

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
zman said:
Kmart flubbed it...but I remember a Laker series where Karl teams couldnt get the ball in twice and changed the complexion of the series...and may have cost them the western conference finals...and possibly the title...
Yep, and I have seen it time and time again where obvious mistakes in the fourth quarter cost us games. Particularly when he does not call time out or mandate his players use the entire shot clock with a lead. It's simple math and I have watched dozens of games lost in the fourth quarter when we have a lead, all the while, dudes shooting with 14 seconds left on the clock. That is pure coaching fail.

Deuceu72 said:
I do like George. That being said. He reminds me of Marty Schottenhimer. Good coach. Always has winning competitive teams, but can't come through in the clutch.
Exactly, and like Schot, he is a great man, and a very good coach... but both have made critical mistakes with their teams... coaching mistakes, that cost more than just a game or so.

hobiecat said:
It's a non-issue if a ten year vet with six hundred games under his belt tosses the ball to a guy in blue.
It's also a non issue if you call time out and have a more proficient, heady player in bound the ball and have a set play. Not to mention that you just had your best defenders in there who are NOT the best free throw shooters... Even more reason to call time out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts