Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where you can fish...

Hit Atown last night...didnt get there until 6:30...I will be doing this a lot since I live 10 minutes and 4 miles away...well in the past I either came from the west side of town or the tech center so I always fished proven places...well since I only had a little over an hour last night I decided to venture to new ground and I parked in the east lot walked up the stairs across the snorkling beach to the point that was in fishable...fished it for about a half an hour with no fish decided to go back and fish right above the stairs so I could fish as late as possible and beat a hasty retreat...only a couple of people out there and by that time I had the entire east dam to myself...i walked back walking the scuba beach shoreline without fishing until I was below the stair railings that I could see...I bring a cooler to sit on to slow down my fishing speed when the water is cold...so I parked it below the steps and settled in for the last 35 minutes...been there about 5 minutes when a couple of rangers showed up in a truck and came down asked me how fishing was and asked to see my license...gave it to him he said fishing is bad because you are fishing in a no fishing area...I said I am fishing straight across from the east stairs and he said no there are two sets of stairs...one for the scuba beach and one for the fishing access...you are fishing in part of the restricted scuba beach area...well after I turned 5 shades of red for embarrassment and apologized several times since I only had been out there probably 500 times...he and the lady ranger were as nice as could be...he didnt write me a ticket which I am sure was within his rights...he didnt even threaten it...and it wasnt because I was a regular because he didnt recognize me...later when I asked him about the boat thing it jogged his memory that I had spoken to him in previous years...so last night I was in the the wrong which served me right for Sunday's tirade...as someone said...karma is biiioootch...

And the fishing was bad...there was a brisk ese cross wind which makes stick baiting and pitching jigs more difficult...the moon was almost full which I have usually been killed out there during...like the fish feed all night...the ranger said fishing was good right after ice out last monday and tuesday and since has nosedived...so yes I got the black and white furry animal...more new spots to come...

Like I said in the other thread...any job with the public is tough and 99.9 percent of the time they rock...I still believe that...more than ever...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I was there one morning ....waiting for you to show up with your boat....Since I had a bit of time, I walked to the left of the ramp and started casting. After about five minutes a ranger showed up, and told me I was fishing in a no fishing area. (Should have known. Just like the swim beach, a lot of people walk around in bare feet right there. And of course the no fishing sign I was standing next too should have also given me a clue...always remember to read the signs..)

I was embarassed and told the ranger that I always used my toon up there, and hadn't fished the shore other than a couple of times from the dam.

Very nice guy...Just asked me not to do it again and went on his way.

I like the rangers there. Oh, I know how they glass the lake, and check on people regularly while you're fishing...But, I've also had them parked on the ramp, watching as some idiot (me) rode the white caps in his toon, refusing to come off the lake because the walleye were biting. I'm sure they were concerned about my safety.

They do a good job.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
That's a great way to look at an unpleasant event with humor and to own up to an oversight. I think we all have one of those moments every once in a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
what do u recommend to use on rainbow trout off the dam out at aurora i'm going out tomorrow and haven't been there in forever so not sure what to use.
thanks to anyone for any info ;D

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They will eat anything...up shallow spawning or should be...kastmasters...xraps...crawlers...minnows...powerbait...wooly buggers...tube jigs...midges...they are swimming garbage cans...you should be able to use whatever you prefer to use to target them...some big ones up shallow this time of year too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts