Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am coming to Colorado for 3 months this year June, July and August I will be based in Fort Collins. I am wondering what gear I need to bring such as lines, flies and rods as I only use 6wts and 8wts and flies down to size 16 over here. Any information would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Ben Booth

·
Registered
386 Posts
You are probably going to want to scale down a bit. Most of the fishing here, both in reservoirs and on rivers is with a 4 or 5 wt outfit. I do quite a bit of reservoir fishing and do use heavier leaders, (2x3x4x) and will occasionally go on the stream with a 3wt which for most of the water in Co. is sufficient. No I wouldn't do this at the Toilet Bowl, the Dream Stream or the Taylor river outfall but generally speaking the 3wt. is fine on the rivers.
The reservoirs like Antero/Spinney Mtn/11 mile hold some larger fish.....5# examples are fairly common and 10# fish are possible. Although these can be landed with lighter tackle and leaders, I really feel getting the fish in and getting him off the hook will definitely increase the chance of survival.
On the reservoirs, flies in the 8 t0 20 range are typical. Early Spring the Chirinomids and midges generally will be #16-#20. Later on the damsels, leeches, buggers will normally be in the #8-#12 range. Except for occasional odd times you really only need a floating line with leaders in the 7 1/2 to a max. of 12'. The lake fish generally are not leader shy. Rod size from 8 1/2' to 9 1/2', not really super critical.
Drop me a pm if you'd like some more specifics.
Bill

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Douglas Reservoir is just north of Fort Collins and has wipers...some big ones...freight trains compared to trout...you might bring your 6 and 8 wt for these brutes and some clousers or other big streamers and walk the dam...you wont fish for trout again...bwahaahahahahahhaa...and welcome to Colorado...let us know how you do...maybe you can even hook up with some of the fly guys on here...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I fly fished for the first time last year on Horsetooth and had a blast catching smallies, I think my fly rod is a 5 wt, not sure. If I'm around you are more then welcome to come out in my boat with me and actually show me how to cast a fly without looking like a idiot. They were very easy to catch so the catching shouldn't be a problem, I might be going on vacation in June but I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'd go to Rocky Mountain National Park. You certainly wont need a flyrod such as a 6 or 8 wt though. A nice 3 or 4 wt would work great. the fish usually arent brutes(usually...) but the scenery is beautiful and peaceful and more catered towards fly fishing.

The poudre and Big Thompson rivers are nice as well. Again, 4 wt is perfect. I would go farther up into the canyons of each of these rivers to find the best waters to fish.

as for flies to use; ants, beetles, hoppers, caddis, RS2s, san juan worms, etc will work great in RMNP

caddis, caddis emergers, ants, beetles, hoppers, PMDs, wooly buggers, parachute adams etc will work on the Big thompson/poudre.

good luck, you'll probably see some of us out there too

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am from Christchurch aye The fishing this season has been good in spots when the weather has settled this season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts