Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, im new to the forum and glad to be here. Im going to be coming to camp at Woods Lake near telluride for the first time this September. Originally this was going to be my first trip to the area to bowhunt elk on little cone. Plans changed when I unexplainably lost 30 lbs of muscle over the last month and was diagnosed type 1 diabetic last week. Im getting mass back quickly but doubt ill be in mountain shape (especially with a bow) before mid sep.

That leaves me manning basecamp with the old timers, no worries cause the food down there's alot better than my old surplus MRE's :hungry:

The days im not grouse hunting or calling for my brother I was hoping to do some fishing around the area. I breathe fishing (20 min. From lake Gville) but I doubt a 7' 6" flipping stick is gonna throw a wooly bugger very well.

I was hoping to get some insight to what kind of gear id need to be successful, and maybe some other areas around there to fish within 1 hr drive or so. Im green when it comes comes to trout fishing, so be be elementary, im not easily offended haha.

Btw id prefer to get a travel rod (fly or spin) so it doesn't get broke on the drive if anybody had a suggestion.

I know down here people only pass their favorite fishing holes on in their dying will, so feel free to pm me! Haha
I I appreciate the help fellas, and if yall ever make it down here ive got a back seat and a big fish with your name on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey bobys thanks for the reply. I've seen quite a few travel ultralights in the 5 foot range. That seems awful short to me if I run into a decent trout, though I wouldn't know. Have a preferred favorite? Or any insight into any of the spin/fly combo rods?

BTW im from the "buy it once" school of thought and am looking for a quality stick.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hey bobys thanks for the reply. I've seen quite a few travel ultralights in the 5 foot range. That seems awful short to me if I run into a decent trout, though I wouldn't know. Have a preferred favorite? Or any insight into any of the spin/fly combo rods?

BTW im from the "buy it once" school of thought and am looking for a quality stick.
I don't have any experience with the spin/fly combos not exactly sure on those, im sure there are others who could give much better advice. I wouldn't suggest a 5foot rod that's a forsure I prefer 6.5-7ft

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
River Rat, go with the Eagle Claw Trailmaster combo rod. Been around for 50 years and still one of the biggest selling rods in the business! Here's a link on the combo for you to check it out.
http://www.eagleclaw.com/product/rods/product-line/Trailmaster

And a great spinning reel to go with it get the Wright & McGill SÁBALOS in the 2500, best drag in the business!!!
http://www.wright-mcgill.com/blair-wiggins-sabalos-spinning-reels

and while you're at it pick up the Wright & McGill Dragon Fly Reel.
http://www.wright-mcgill.com/dragon-fly-reel

...one stop shopping!!! ::) :biggrin1::thumb:

Good luck and tight lines!!!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I would just get a 2 pc medium spinning rod/reel and fill it with 4 or 6 lb test trilene xl low vis green or clear whatever you like. Get some 1/4 oz kastmasters, spinners, small to medium rapalas (floaters and suspenders in rainbow trout finish...you can fish for trout like you do bass even small lipless cranks work well), tube jigs, 2 or 3 inch white/natural color curly tails, black marabou jigs, wooly buggers and split shot (you can cast them with a split shot 16 inches up and retrieve slowly on light line), clear plastic bubbles that you can fill with water and cast flies with and retrieve slowly. I like 4 lb line...streams and lakes will be low and clear in September and fish can be spooky and lighter line is more transparent and allows for more natural presentations. Also a good old bait hook with worms or berkley power bait where legal if you like to do that. You can wrap a 2 piece rod in bubblw wrap and shove it in the back of your trunk or truck and it will be fine.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Yep and if your heart is set on a pack rod what Tony said...I dont think one is necessary but thats your choice...

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you are going to be camping around Woods Lake then you have two good river systems to fish. The Dolores which runs south from your area or the San Miguel which will run northerly from the Telluride area. To get to the Upper Dolores you just go on over Lizzard Head pass and you should be good.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would just get a 2 pc medium spinning rod/reel and fill it with 4 or 6 lb test trilene xl low vis green or clear whatever you like. Get some 1/4 oz kastmasters, spinners, small to medium rapalas (floaters and suspenders in rainbow trout finish...you can fish for trout like you do bass even small lipless cranks work well), tube jigs, 2 or 3 inch white/natural color curly tails, black marabou jigs, wooly buggers and split shot (you can cast them with a split shot 16 inches up and retrieve slowly on light line), clear plastic bubbles that you can fill with water and cast flies with and retrieve slowly. I like 4 lb line...streams and lakes will be low and clear in September and fish can be spooky and lighter line is more transparent and allows for more natural presentations. Also a good old bait hook with worms or berkley power bait where legal if you like to do that. You can wrap a 2 piece rod in bubblw wrap and shove it in the back of your trunk or truck and it will be fine.
What Z said, good sound advice!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Yep. I have an Eagle Claw Trailmaster 7 ft 4 piece rod passed down from my grandpa to my dad, to me. Awesome rig. 6 lb line, gold kastmasters or Panther Martins in a variety of colors.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Don't give up hope on an elk. If you can still draw your bow, set up in a good spot close to camp and do some calling.

Mid to late Sept. is when they respond the best in my experiences. You get one to answer your call you might be surprised how fast he comes in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the the great advice fellas. Ive been researching the the Delores and San miguel and it looks fantastic. Based on what yall are recommending ive got aa spinning setup that should fit the bill nicely. A 7' wally Marshall jig casting rod for crappie. Throws 1/16 and 1/32 tubes pretty well. Still looking for a solid entry fly combo and found the orvis encounter 5 wt to look pretty tempting.

I hear ya pistol dog, i have no problem pulling my bow, more worried about the day long hike to the spike camp. I know that hearing those bulls bugle is going to drive me nuts if I dont have a bow in my hand. Im still recovering fast and told myself if I can build back up to a 4 mile run ill pick my tag up when I cross the state line.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
That rod should work just fine. I like to toss 1/8 oz kastmasters in gold and silver and 1/8 oz Panther Martins in albino-redeye and brown trout patterns.

BTW, I just moved to TN from Colorado and I miss the mountains. Have fun up there. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts