Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looking for simulation software for lure development. Basically need 3D CAD and the ability to mock it up in moving water

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
looking for simulation software for lure development. Basically need 3D CAD and the ability to mock it up in moving water
Are you trying to do it yourself?

Solidworks has an extension called Cosmos. It will do it...there are others as well.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doing it myself would depend on cost and the learning curve. We spent a lot of money on a current project including molds, and when the first proto-types came in and we hit the water, they DIDN'T SWIM !! To build molds and start from scratch, it can easily be several thousand dollars invested only to have to start over. We could also look at having this done for us, this isn't the type of software most home users have though.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Doing it myself would depend on cost and the learning curve. We spent a lot of money on a current project including molds, and when the first proto-types came in and we hit the water, they DIDN'T SWIM !! To build molds and start from scratch, it can easily be several thousand dollars invested only to have to start over. We could also look at having this done for us, this isn't the type of software most home users have though.
Doing it yourself = engineering background. Not easy software to just pick up and do. If you have that though, you're good.

I can give you the name of company that will work with you though, if you find it's too expensive to try to do it yourself.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man!! I have an outfit here checking into it, I would prefer to keep it as local as possible but in the back woods over here I doubt I will find a company that can handle it.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Thanks man!! I have an outfit here checking into it, I would prefer to keep it as local as possible but in the back woods over here I doubt I will find a company that can handle it.
Gonna PM you the info anyway. Would be worth your time to talk to them anyway... ;)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
We also have experience in this where I work. We use Solidworks extensions and other third party packages (e.g. Fluent, Star CD/CCM+). We have also worked with contractors (e.g. Lockheed, Gulfstream) but this can get VERY expensive and we only use them when specific FAA certifications are required. Maybe there are similar but cheaper companies for the underwater world?

In addition to the steep learning curve as Wiggles mentions, it also requires some fairly hefty computing in terms of memory, CPU/GPU, etc. We typically do our analysis on Windows or Linux boxes, depending on the application.

If you are interested, I can do some checking to see what some of the lower cost options are...

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks W2F, I have a couple of systems that can handle the software. I started looking at Solidworks yesterday. This is something that several of the big lure companies do in-house and I think that if this little start-up I am working with wants to be competitive in the big picture we are gonna have to get high tech!

Design molds have cost us from 1K to 3K, then once the proto's are working there has to be a production mold built at similar cost. We can be 6K into a lure before we ever have on to sell. Multiply this by the number of lures we have in the design process at some point or another and you are looking at some serious coin! So having 20-30K invested into computers and software may be a worthwhile expenditure over the long run.

Right now Ken has given me a great lead and I have a local who thinks he can modify his aerodynamics software to cover liquid physics.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks WE, I had seen that one while doing research. Tech support with open source is often lacking. Perhaps if I was doing this full time it would not be so bad, but I am trying to cut the learning curve as short as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts