Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading down to Antonito area in the San Luis Valley this weekend. My brother-in-law's mom owns property down there, and we have access to several miles of private Conejos water!

Does any body have any info on flows, clarity, and fly patterns for that area? I primarily nymph and fish streamers, but if drys and terrestrials are the ticket, I can change it up. Not sure if it is too early for browns to be spawning there, but I will have egg patterns in case.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Could you adopt me? Always wanted to fish that private water. Only bad thing is it's very difficult to predict what the fish want. There is the Green Drake hatch in July, and PMD's a bit later, but day to day I have found little consistency. I have had luck with a red pheasant tail, and a purple prince, size 14-16, and a chironicone size 16. Do you tie? If you will pm me, I will send you a couple of dries that might work. Ideal fall flows are probably around 100 - 200 at the Mogote area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CONEJOS UPDATE:
The Conejos on Private water upstream from Mogote was a pristine strech of water. The clariy was crystal clear. Flows were about 140 CFS. Water temps were cool and everything was ideal for hooking fish. The problem was just that, hooking fish. I landed 2 Browns, and lost about 4 others. Nothing of significant size.

I threw probably 40 diffrent combinations ranging from bead heads, to midge, eggs, worms, streamers, emergers, you name it. I fished it two days. from about 1-7pm on Staurday, and again from 6am to 10am on Sunday. I tried varying degrees of weight and different sizes of tippet. I threw attractor flies, and even ran a Czech style. I high stick nymphed, threw dries, dry droppers, terrestrials, and streamers. Nothing.

I guess I have not paid my dues on this water. I personally feel that the Browns might have been bedding down ready to spawn somewhere else upstream. I went with a buddy and he had the same result. He caught 1 and lost a couple.

All in all, it was a fun and often technical, we came up a little short, but had fun and didn't have to deal with kids or the wife for a couple days.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Better have lots of shekels to pay your dues on the Conejos, she's an expensive mistress. Even talked to a guide who says he doesn't dare take clients there because it might be feast or famine. Thought you might get around her by being on private water, but I guess not. If you can get a guide trip with Randy Keys it might help, he's the king of the Conejos in my book.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts