Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has probably been asked before, but one thing that has always confused me about the ANS inspections at the lakes in the boating season.

As a boater myself, I am always asked whether I have any live aquatic bait, and if I do I must produce a valid receipt of the purchase. My confusion comes because when I ice fish, no one seems to care or ask whether I have live bait (unless at high altitude of course).

Doesn't the allowing of unchecked bait during the winter time make the whole ans check of live bait a moot point in the summer? Can minnows not swim down an ice hole as easily as swim in the warm water? I'm not advocating an ans inspection in the winter, in fact I think the way Colorado does the ans inspection process is a nuisance and a joke in itself.

Just curious as to everyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your question brings me to ask a question. its my understanding that a person cant use live bait above a certain elevation, 8k feet or something is what i remember seeing. My question is, if it is in fact legal, why can i not find anywhere that sells live bait? do i "catch" it myself? ive been uncertain, so when i have caught bait sized fish, i threw them back in fear of getting in trouble.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Your question brings me to ask a question. its my understanding that a person cant use live bait above a certain elevation, 8k feet or something is what i remember seeing. My question is, if it is in fact legal, why can i not find anywhere that sells live bait? do i "catch" it myself? ive been uncertain, so when i have caught bait sized fish, i threw them back in fear of getting in trouble.
bennets bait shop, gander mountain, sportsmans warehouse, cabelas, bass pro shops all sell live bait.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Even when Ice fishing or shore fishing you are supposed to be keeping your receipt with you......

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I am sure this has probably been asked before, but one thing that has always confused me about the ANS inspections at the lakes in the boating season.

As a boater myself, I am always asked whether I have any live aquatic bait, and if I do I must produce a valid receipt of the purchase. My confusion comes because when I ice fish, no one seems to care or ask whether I have live bait (unless at high altitude of course).

Doesn't the allowing of unchecked bait during the winter time make the whole ans check of live bait a moot point in the summer? Can minnows not swim down an ice hole as easily as swim in the warm water? I'm not advocating an ans inspection in the winter, in fact I think the way Colorado does the ans inspection process is a nuisance and a joke in itself.

Just curious as to everyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks
It is silly... You Got a VERY valid point, Tiny... what difference does it make if You have "live minnows" during the open water season or the ice season...??
Potentially, They would carry the same ANS deseases... No matter WHEN you would use em...
Although, I HAVE been checked while on the ice, and had to produce a valid, 7 day receipt for My minnows...
None of it makes sense to Me... especially, the "shoreline fisherman" who utilize live bait during the open water season.. ??? They rarely get checked, yet They also have the potential for using contaminated bait....
I have had numerous arguments with "certain" ANS inspectors over the years... Almost all of Them have Thier own interpretations of ANS inforcement...
Whats a Guy to do?? :confused:
Cheat?? :eek:

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I think they're worried more about the water that's in the bucket being transferred from lake to lake than the minnows themselves..

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is the water in the bucket they are worried about. It all comes down to risk of moving the water. In the summer I pull my minnow bucket in the water next to the boat. In the winter it sits in the fish house with me and I pour the water on the ice when I add new water. Thus killing anything. Also, most the ANS don't breed in the cold water, so there is no larvae in the water to be transported. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Here's another confusing thing, how many waters in our state have we lost to motor boats due to this farce? Electric motors are prohibited in many lakes now also.....Dpw management policy thanks to the ANS excuse, Close and Prohibit.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Here's another confusing thing, how many waters in our state have we lost to motor boats due to this farce? Electric motors are prohibited in many lakes now also.....Dpw management policy thanks to the ANS excuse, Close and Prohibit.
See dams closed to walking on and fishing on due to terrorists...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I have never understood many of the regs regarding ANS and the whole boat inspection thing. Typical bureaucratic over-reaction that makes little if any sense.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
We're lucky we don't live in Minnesota..
They are gettin REAL tough about ANS inspections...
Course, the biological makeup of Thier lakes are totally different from Our reservoirs...
But, man... You need a tag on Your boat just to "drive" through the State, anymore...

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Wyoming requires the same thing. Inspection check points on the major highways where boats coming in have to stop. Multiple mobile check stations as well. To my knowledge, they have not closed any lakes, nor do they close lakes to boats early like Colorado.

Actually, I think this is a much better system than Colorado. If this state was smart, it would put them up as well - especially on the I70 / Utah border. With Powell infected, that is where a HUGE risk lies.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Montana is the same way now!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My II Cents

May have posted this before.
Does the system work? Do they care?
This past summer I got of 11 mile and when I pulled up to the dock there was a boat in the lot that was being bailed out with a coffee can before the ANS inspection. This was an older glass boat, the plug was pulled and the amount of water running down the newly paved lot from bailing and draining was substantial.
That boat went through the inspection in front of me. As I left the park that boat made a right hand turn coming out of the park office parking lot and I fell in behind it heading west.
I followed it until turning on CR 23 to get to HW 24. That boat leaked water on and off the entire way. After turning I stopped to see if they were going to go into Spinney and they did turn onto the road to Spinney.
I called the 11 mile office and told them what happened, they said they would check it out.
The next day I went to Spinney to fish and talked to the inspector about this. I confirmed that this inspector was on duty when this boat went through the inspection. The inspector never received a call from the 11 mile office about this boat.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Colorado Tackle Pro just before you head up the hill from the springs has live bait everytime i went in there. although i have never needed to use any before.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Another II Cents

I have witnessed this more times than I can remember.
Waiting for an an inspection and see this happening.
The boats plug is in, and when the plug is pulled it drains water. I have seen boats being bailed out at the inspection.
These boats were allowed to launch.

Drained, dry and clean is the protocol. They should not have been allowed to launch.

I questioned one inspector when this happened and his reply was " It was water from storage not lake water" Possible but not to protocol.

Nothing is perfect but this is not rocket science.

Check the boats like Wyoming, do what it takes to protect the fisheries.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Christ, Once at Atown I lowered the motor and about 3 oz. of water dribbled out. This was a Sun. I had been on Atown on Fri. Fucking Nazis made me do the impound thing for 2 weeks. I NEVER tell the truth anymore-

Fucking bunch of stupid ****-

1 - 20 of 27 Posts