Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading some threads lately and reading a blog by T.C. on another site I think it is time here to discuss the art of conservation of fragile waters and even fish species here in our state. We have a lot of new members asking for help here and I'm glad members have been helping them but the one thing we as Colorado sportsman and sportswomen can do is spread the word of conservation! We have a problem in this state with the growing population and with that problem comes more sportsmen out enjoying the waters, some good and from what I have witnessed a lot not so good. Most good sportsmen can figure out what is right and do their homework or reach out to a site like our own here, the rest don't care and just do what they want being right or wrong. They may have payed there fees, may have their license which makes it totally legal but is it right that they strip the fragile waters of the fish or spread trash all down the shores or disobey the certain laws of that said water?
OK, let's keep it a clean discussion while trying to help the new fisher people looking in! This will also help in reminding us older members on things we have forgotten or new info we just didn't know about!!! Also...what constitutes a body of water or a species of fish to be fragile enough to need severe conservation?

Things that make you go.....HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I am continually dismayed at the amount of trash I see left behind on waters, and I regularly pack others trash out. This I honestly don't get. You enjoy the outdoors, but leave trash behind, which when it all gets boiled down...is pollution!! Do you take a crap in your own bed too people??

The trash thing aside...

There's a mis-conception and common pattern amongst newbies (I was guilty too) that by jumping on the forum all the guys are going share honey-holes for the common good. Chatty, Pueblo or Cherry Creek in general, sure no problem, but exact spots or smaller bodies of water, I say no, regardless of notoriety or previous publication, if it's small or metro close, just say no to naming the body of water.

For every one reply you may get on here there are at least 100 views. There is a smaller walleye water near me that was recently named on here and the "other" site, and a drive by there on a weekend day currently has more fishermen there than I have ever seen during the past ten years of driving by there combined.

Fish that are considered good "eaters" like walleye, crappie ect are particularly vulnerable to over harvest, waters close to metro areas that are conducive to being trout waters are vulnerable to over use with overstressed trout, worn down paths and trash.

I'd never discourage anyone from taking up the fine sport of fishing, but blowing a claxon horn over the internet for potentially thousands of people to see a spot...well folks lets please use some common sense.

Trust me I've seen firsthand in the last 2 years the effect the power of the internet can have on 2 different bodies of water, with 2 different species.

So be really careful, posting a body of water by name DOES have an impact.

Cheers

PD

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Other than Pueblo I don't talk about any other places I fish. Many of the places I used to fish are overrun by the 5 gallon bucket brigade. Trash everywhere. Makes me sick to see what has happened. I honestly don't think there is much that can be done.

Don't know why its so different but I have a house on Texoma just down the lake from Eisenhower state park. The park has 3-4 miles of shoreline on the lake and I have only seen trash along this shoreline a couple of times in the year I have been here. And this shoreline gets used a lot-many days there are dozens of guys fishing here.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Let's protect our waters by not teaching kids to fish. That way we don't need to worry about it getting over crowded and when we pass, our gems will be forever protected.

And there will be less rudeness on the water because it will be only old farts fishing and we respect everyone. And less trash cuz we are the only group of people that respect the environment. Especially us fly fishermen!

:popcorn:

:llama:

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Let's protect our waters by not teaching kids to fish. That way we don't need to worry about it getting over crowded and when we pass, our gems will be forever protected.

And there will be less rudeness on the water because it will be only old farts fishing and we respect everyone. And less trash cuz we are the only group of people that respect the environment. Especially us fly fishermen!

:popcorn:

:llama:
Ha ha, I know that was tongue in cheek, but it brings up an excellent point.

Do we as sportsman keep our passion on the down low in an effort to protect resources or do we promote outdoor activities such as hunting and fishing because it's a healthy lifestyle choice and the more folks involved the more resources can be managed and protected based on the sheer number of folks who care about such things?

·
Registered
21 Posts
This topic has become a pet-peeve of mine. And it applies to other sports or outdoor recreational activities as well. Ultimately the issue stems from a limited amount of resources available as compared to the number of users wanting to use these resources (essentially supply and demand). There is no way with the number of users there are that no impacts will occur. Places I use to go even five years ago now have trails beaten down, more trash than ever etc. This is even happening in more remote areas, well away from the front range.
Education works to a limited extent. IMHO it is a societal issue - many folks go outdoors once a month and just don't give a s%*t, leaving trash, chopping trees, whatever it maybe. Other folks play outdoors a lot and don't give a s%$t with the same impacts as above. I am not being all inclusive in my ramblings - there are many folks who are stewards and pickup after themselves and others. Kudos to these people.
Generally, the mind set today is it is all about me with no regard to others. I am going to do what I want, when I want and how I want come hell or high water. Lack of respect to the environment as well as to other people.
I hate not being able to provide a solution. All we can do is our best.
Sorry about the rant.

·
Registered
902 Posts
i get why all the locals dont care for Texans... first time fishing with one he left his piss water import brews on shore... good thing he was drunkerd up because he missed a monster slam.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
This issue is everywhere, not just colorado.

when I fished in OK, the websites like fishing-notebook.com used to be an open book of information. even with the limitless waters available for fishing out there, people don't talk because they are sick of jerks littering the shorelines or crowding productive spots. Same with Nefga.org and a few others... coincidentally enough, it seems them cornhuskers don't like us greenies that much, especially on the western end...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like you guys are a bunch of gosh dern in-viro-mentalist cry baby liberals. That trash aint hurtin nobody. Heck it’ll break down and go back into the dirt anyway.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
coincidentally enough, it seems them cornhuskers don't like us greenies that much, especially on the western end...

That's cause we can out fish them, they are used to easy fish where us greenies need to grind and know every trick in the book to get bites. Those corn huskers are one trick ponies.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
That's cause we can out fish them, they are used to easy fish where us greenies need to grind and know every trick in the book to get bites. Those corn huskers are one trick ponies.
Hey, I am a one trick pony! :mad2:

My 2 cents on the topic: I find it hard justify "protecting waters" on moral grounds. Do I want peace when I am out? Absolutely. But, to me, it is merely for selfish reason; not for ethical reasons. Protecting from whom? For whose benefit? The families with their proverbial "buckets?" Doesn't really bother me, as long as they are within their limits. I don't fish small bodies of water much. Those are the bodies of water that are the most vulnerable to over harvesting. That reduces my exposure to the waves of hotspotting that impacts those fisheries every now and then. Colorado --and the US as a whole-- is only going to get more and more crowded. The internet is here to stay. Better to just cope with it...

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
what constitutes a body of water or a species of fish to be fragile enough to need severe conservation?
Perceived value.

The moment any mod kills a report based upon a species or a lake being too fragile to support internet lurkers, god kills a kitten.....think about the kittens.

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perceived value.

The moment any mod kills a report based upon a species or a lake being too fragile to support internet lurkers, god kills a kitten.....think about the kittens.
yeah and you know what I think of kittens!!! :rip::rip::rip: Pike bait!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts