Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again this matter has raised it's ugly head with what happened lately in a posted thread. Acting as moderator in the middle of this matter I noticed that all involved actually preach the same sermon and try to help others with their own experience but the translation of the message is taken different in many ways. One thing that happens is a forceful or aggressive response in a thread is taken in a negative manner then others jump in and a verbal brawl breaks out with the true message being lost in the fracas. This has been going on forever and has caused bad blood among fellow anglers here that enjoy the same activities and beliefs. Right now we on ColoradoFisherman have a lot of new members coming in looking to start fly fishing asking for info on how to start, what is needed to get going and areas where they might go to be able to get started and I feel to keep our sport going in the right direction the education starts here with us! We can't stop the influx of people coming into our state and we all know our waters are small, getting crowded and in some areas getting trashed out. The question is how do we combat the problems, how do we get the education across how to conserve what we have here to protect for the future? This is your open forum to discuss this matter especially for the older members, more experienced members, since they are the most respected and educated in their circles. Please, let's keep it civil but in a manner to get your point across.
"Educate don't Discriminate!"
I will say that these problems towards lack of education and tolerance happens even more outside of fly fishing also, probably even more and the same will be brought up on that side.

THX for any help in this thread and....WHAT SAY YOU!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
...Acting as moderator in the middle of this matter I noticed that all involved actually preach the same sermon and try to help others with their own experience but the translation of the message is taken different in many ways. One thing that happens is a forceful or aggressive response in a thread is taken in a negative manner then others jump in and a verbal brawl breaks out with the true message being lost in the fracas.
T... one thing you did not mention, but know very well, is that many times the poster delivers the message in such an intentionally bad manner that there is no translation needed. IMHO, therein lies the problem. Something I personally have been guilty of and have been working to be better at.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! I did think of that but want to see if that can be worked out through this thread. And yes you are getting better!!! :tongue: :biggrin1:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fellas-
It was my post , which can be viewed in the Fishing Chronicles section, that caused this brouhaha. Some folks thought that a fly fishing guidebook I wrote was allowing me to profit at the expense of the resource. From what I can gather, it seems the vitriol is mostly directed toward my inclusion of some smaller trout streams. However, I’m betting that none of the dissenters has read the book, because if they had they’d know that each of the small trout streams I covered is written about extensively elsewhere, albeit, some of the sources are old and wildly inaccurate. None of these small fly waters is what I would call a secret, either. Have you ever tried to go fish Spring Creek or the Cochetopa during the summer? What I’ve done is gather the information on these trout streams into one source, update it, and add my extensive knowledge of the areas to give the readers of the book something of value, as what good is a guidebook if there is nothing of value in it. Should I have simply regurgitated ad nausea already known info on the Gunnison, Taylor and East Rivers and left everything else out? Bookshelves are full of such books, but I wanted mine to be different.

What these dissenters also couldn’t be aware of is the agonizing decisions that I made as to what fly waters to include and which were too fragile and needed to be passed over. For instance, Cochetopa Creek is covered in its own chapter in my book, but there are two trout streams that are just as quality (or better) within walking distance of the Cochetopa that are not mentioned. Why? Simply because it would have been irresponsible of me to talk about them, so I didn’t. There are literally dozens of small trout streams that I desperately wanted to include in this book that ultimately were left out for this very reason. I worked my tail off to protect the fisheries that needed to be protected, and I couldn’t be more pleased with the results. I tried my best to strike the perfect balance between giving readers something worth buying, while not exploiting waters in doing so. Was I perfect in this arena, probably not…but no one is going to be able to truthfully say that I didn’t try and sacrifice to make sure to error on the side of caution.

Running the risk of overstepping my boundaries, I’m going to quote from the introduction of my book as to why I wrote it because I can’t say it any better than I said it the day I wrote the following. “While a goal of every fly fishing guidebook is to help you catch more and bigger fish, the loftier aim of this book is to increase your knowledge of the trout streams and high mountain lakes of the Gunnison Basin. After all, knowledge leads to appreciation and appreciation when fully mature, leads to love. My overarching hope is that you will grow in appreciation and love for the trout waters of the Gunnison Basin as much by reading this book, as I have in writing it. Welcome to Fly Fishing the Gunnison Country!”

I want folks to love the fly waters of the Gunnison Basin as much as I do. I want people to understand the biology behind these waters and these fish. Rather than obsess about catching the biggest fish I want folks to know why our native cutthroat populations are at risk. I wanted readers to know how old the cutts in our high lakes are and how they got there in the first place. I wanted readers to understand how a brown trout can attain epic proportions in a small trout stream and why most folks can never catch that fish. I want readers of this book to understand why these fly waters and the salmonids that fin their depths are worth loving and protecting. Simply put, the purpose of my book is to share something that I love and am passionate about with whoever will listen. Do you really think that I would intentionally harm the very thing, besides the Lord and my family, that I love most on this earth? If your answer is still yes, we will just have to agree to disagree, and that is the beauty of living in this awesome country that we live in…we can do just that. Respectfully submitted. Doug Dillingham Ohio City, Colorado.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Doug,

Well said. I am one to thank you for the book as I enjoyed reading and learning about the Gunny area. I don't get over there as much as I would like to.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very well said Doug but books like yours only cover a small part of the education process anymore IMHO. With the advent of the internet people don't buy and read books like in the past, people by pass that stage and go straight to google, forums and blogs. They also just head down to a shop to buy a rod/reel setup with gear, may take a few casting lessons at the shop but these shops aren't teaching them any conservation since they are in it to just make their dollar selling gear! To many short cuts anymore to just get out on the waters without the one on one experienced learning of the respect for fellow anglers and the conservation of the land and waters we all use. Today we have groups on facebook that IMO don't care about teaching, just post your brag pics and wait for the accolades and back slaps. We have the blogs that are one sided on opinions with just personal experience and trips that have no interaction with the public. Then we have the forums that are all different with their own agenda, some nothing but a big dick swingin club, some that give away the whole farm but don't tell you how to conserve and preserve what we have to make it last, then you have us here. We have a little bit for everybody, a one stop shop for everything with a lot of members that are willing to help anyway they can. Yes one must have thick skin to be here at times but if you use the info given here the right way there is so much you could learn. A lot of the info here is in code sort of speak, other info is given straight up but like I said earlier a lot of the info is the same between members but the translation is lost between members and taken different which starts the verbal brawls. How can we get the message across in a neutral universal way to educate conservation without the seekers losing interest, thinking "what a bunch of frickin whackjobs" and going off on their own only to disrespect what he/she was asking to learn here? What are some good info points to add to these teaching posts? Some great points to make would be to teach the proper C&R, proper way to take pics and how to display those pics in a report, learn the species of fish in the waters and regs on those fish! Again, what say you? :thumb:

Carry on!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts