Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Conservation

5K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  Dave M 
#1 ·

See less See more
#4 ·
And PS, this is not a report. So unless tony says otherwise... This post can stay as long as it's a meaningful discussion about how one should consider selective harvest with unpopular species amongst the CPW.

Sir, in my opinion... It's not a good look to keep large pike out of any South Park fishery, regardless of what the Rangers may tell you. I'm not a biologist but I'll say IMO that those fish contribute to the reason why both spinney and 11 mile have big trout. If you want to eat pike... Consider a fishery where they are proven to be overpopulated. Do some research and figure out that one because Nobody is gonna reveal that jewel to a big pike killer. Thanks! <3

#5 ·
Sucks... I don't even hate on the dude himself because he is likely just ignorant. So many learn fishing to mean go get the most. I highly doubt he will use all the meat. Hope he does. Pisses me off our regs just don't allow this.

#6 ·
Dave is correct, this is not the report section.....but.... let this thread be an educational tool for all the new members here and the lurkers peering in from the outside. I saw this pic as soon as it was posted up on it's original sight and SMH!!! It all stems from management and education, nothing more!

#22 · (Edited)
We fished Eleven Mile for years and kept (and ate) every pike we caught.

Eleven Mile is basically a put and take fishery. Of the hundreds of trout we caught, over 90% of them were the stocked cutbows. The idea that the pike are needed to control the population of stocked trout is just silly. Every trout eaten by a pike is one less to be caught by anglers.

The wildlife managers have it right when they consider the pike in Eleven Mile and the lake trout in Blue Mesa to be behaving like invasive species feeding that are supported mainly by eating lots and lots of stocked fish that could otherwise be caught by anglers. Sure, catching a 10-20 lb pike is great, but it ate 100-200 lbs of trout to grow that large.

The meat on those trout-fed pike is excellent: white and flaky and mild.

#31 ·
Nothing more satisfying to me then when I pull off 11mile and Spinney and show the ans shack jock my livewells CHALK FULL of our limits of slimers. Then they ask if we caught any pike. I'm sure you all can guess where the conversation goes from there. Happens every time and I LOVE it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.