Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazing that this is the first time it has been done in The House of Representatives. I think it was a great idea, and should be done each starting year for both Houses. Next step, is, hopefully they will adhere to it no matter party affiliation..

The reading went well; except when some nut-job yelled "Obama" from the guest seating when Article II, Section 1, Clause 5 was read.. And it was nice to see the applause after the reading of the 13th Amendment too.

I forgot to add that it sucks they (The Republicans) edited the original document too..so the whole Constitution was not read in its entirety.

D.J.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Uh....and why was this such a great use of time.....?
The obvious answer would be: "it is our Governing Document..so you would think they should hear and read it, for once.."

But if for nothing else; at least they were not appropriating more of our money to be spent.

D.J.

·
Registered
184 Posts
bassboy said:
I think it's great....it keeps them out of the shady backrooms that much longer!
No it doesn't. Congressmen-elect Pete Sessions and Mike Fitzpatrick who missed being sworn in were too busy at a fundraiser in the Capitol complex. Furthermore, It is against federal criminal law for members of Congress to accept contributions in the Capitol or its surrounding office buildings.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47170.html#ixzz1AIj9hdGd

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yatahey said:
Maybe they should have taken the time to be sworn in before they started voting too. I think that is in the Constitution that they do that first.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47170.html
Not to take this post off subject (i.e. The Constitution), but yeah, I read that. I'd like to know more about exactly where they were at the time of the swearing in ceremony..? But absolutely irresponsible, ignorant, and against the Constitutional guidelines. As I have said; a politician is a politician...no matter party, and rarely do they actually adhere to the Constitution. Which is why I said "next step, is, hopefully they will adhere to it no matter party affiliation.." in my original post. Obviously they didn't care, and for that, in my opinion should be thrown out of their duly elected positions. (It too makes me mad that the Republican leadership seems to be supporting the votes, and the conduct, of these members...at least from what I can gather?)

D.J.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
They should do this every day--It's the best use of their time. The best possible thing that could happen to this country is complete gridlock in D.C., and the delayed economic recovery finally occuring as a result of a lack of meddling by our so called public servants.

Wait a minute....That would get Obama re-elected.

On second thought, Congress should get back to social engineering.

·
Registered
184 Posts
sswan said:
They should do this every day--It's the best use of their time. The best possible thing that could happen to this country is complete gridlock in D.C., and the delayed economic recovery finally occuring as a result of a lack of meddling by our so called public servants.

At 1 million dollars a pop for the reading, do you still think it's the best use of their time?
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/01/report-house-gops-constitution-reading-could-cost-over-1-million.php

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Just a nonsensical political stunt, and just the sort of thing I would expect some of you to eat up. You guys almost never disappoint.

You live right down to expectations. :D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Yes.

You want them doing stuff? More havoc?

I'd like them to be reading the Bible, Shakespeare, Outdoor Life, the Quran, the Huffington Post, etc.

I want them doing nothing but staying out of the way.

Do you want them sticking fingers in?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yatahey said:
sswan said:

At 1 million dollars a pop for the reading, do you still think it's the best use of their time?
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/01/report-house-gops-constitution-reading-could-cost-over-1-million.php
True..it is a lot of money. But if you look on the article it says; that it is basically money that would have been spent even if they didn't read the Constitution. Because it was quote: "members' salaries and expenses, and for their police protection, and for keeping their lights and phones and coffee machines on.."

D.J.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yea that's what it costs for us to have such a well oiled machine there in DC.
I think they should all be taught the founding documents and American history for the first 6 mos. of each session, then maybe they could govern as intended and within our means.
Maybe learn how to make some tough choices and not try to be such suck a$$es.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts