·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you cook it?
bbq?
oven?
deep fryer?

if you are bbq tout about how long do you cook it for?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
well how big is the trout? cuz i always cooked the stocker trout by a little seasoning and deepfrier.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I filet out my trout and then marinate it in soy or teriyaki or whatever you like and then grill it skin side down. Don't flip the fish and don't worry about it burning on the under side, the skin will protect the meat. It is done when the top part becomes firm and slightly flaky but don't over cook it. The trout that I have harvested from Aurora are so pink that you couldn't tell the difference between it and salmon.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I take the trout and marinate it in a soy sauce / liquid smoke / and oil mixture. Then you mix rosemary, a little gatlic powder, and little salt in a good couple spoons of butter. Cut some onions and add them to the butter mixture and fill the cavity of the trout with this mix. Wrap it in foil and grill for about 20 minutes. After you are done, the meat just falls off the fish, and you have to wory about very few bones.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . .I think I need to go catch some trout.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I fillet mine and season the fillets with a little kosher salt, pepper, lemon pepper, and a few bits of chive.

If they're going on the grill I make a pouch out of aluminum foil and seal them inside.

If they're going in the oven, I will broil them on low with no pouch .

Simple and yummy.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Check out this website for great trout recipes. www.riverwildwinery.com go to the trout recipes section and look for the "bourbon maple peppercorn plank roasted rainbow trout" which is from yours truly. it is a very classy yet simple way of cooking trout, will impress your guests, and goes great with a variety of wines such as Pouilly Fume, California chardonnays, or my favorite, pinot noir. another great thing about this recipe is that you get to go to Home Depot for one of the ingredients!! Carpentry, fishing, and booze, This is truly MAN FOOD!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
dang kitchenmonkey, that recipe looks awesome!!! do you think it would work as well for walleye?

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is THE recipe for trout!!!! Just had some last night, and will have some of the leftovers for lunch in a few minutes!!! This recipe works the best for larger trout and Salmon - over 16"..

Fillet the trout and gently slice out the rib bones down to where the belly meat starts getting yucky... You should have a skinless filet with the Y bones in it.... NOW - Take your fingernail and work backwards along the tip of those Y bones.... Do it several times to get them standing up out of the meat. Take a needlenose pliars and pluck those babies out of there!! You now have "BONELESS" trout filets!!! Hopefully nice and orange if Rainbows! Take the fillets and place them on HD aluminum foil that you sprayed with PAM. Cut around the filet.

Now comes the good part!!! Place the filets on 1/8" thick cedar boards that have soaked for day in water. Sprinkle them with "Potlatch" seasonong from Williams Sonoma. (This is BY FAR the best seasoning I have ever found for Trout and Salmon!!) If not - use some "Old Bay".. Now get your Grill going on Medium flame and place the boards with the Trout right on the grill. They will smolder and pop and burn and make a lot of smoke!!! Don't lift the Lid!!! Let them go... After 15 minutes lift the lid and test the filet with a Fork, when it flakes off and is not raw - they are ready!!!

YUM!!!

Tim

·
Registered
83 Posts
An easy and quick way that turns out great.

I gut the trout, stuff lemons and sprinkle salt and pepper and roll the whole fish in newspaper, then roll in foil. Place on grill for 10 to 15 minutes. When un-wrapping the fish from the newspaper the skin peels off very easily and the meat falls right off the rib bones.

The newspaper does not come in contact with the meat and it also holds in the moisture.

Good Fishin and Good Eatin!

·
Registered
514 Posts
i agree with flounder about the tinfoil and news paper. i have unbleached brown paper that i cant remember where i got i like to use cause there is no ink but newspaper aint gonna killya. i sprinkle lemon pepper or garlic salt in the inside of the fish and then stuff it with butter. i never cook any of my fish past 137f. you need a good digital thermometer for that but its well worth the $15. as far as cooking temp i bake at 300f or sometimes i broil at 500? depends on how i am cooking it but the most important part is not letting the meat get over 137f. the longer you cook it the softer the bones become and they fall apart in the fish. i find that if i cook it quickly the bone structure stays together better and the meat slides right off of it. butter and garlic salt. cant beat it.

i also like to fillet my bigger ones and dip them in egg and bread them with 50/50 flour and cornmeal and season the breading with jamaican jerk to taste. fry on a skillet in peanut oil until its at 137f. yum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I'm in a hurry,I spice the cleaned fish with lemon pepper,garlic salt and fresh squeezed lemon then I throw it in a zip-loc bag and zap it in the micro for about two minutes. The meat comes right off the bone! I call it poached fish! It's great on crackers.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey KitchenMonkey!

I tried to get cedar at Home depot but all they had was 1/2" stuff at the thinnest!!

I would like to know where I can get some thin untreated cedar to make into cooking boards!

Tim

·
Registered
288 Posts
Fishing Fiend: I don't see why the planking would not work for walleye as well. maybe just a simple rub of garlic/onion powder and salt would be best for a mild fish such as the 'eye. TimCos: I am going to try your planking method with a lake trout I have in the freezer. SOunds really yummy.

You can also use Cos' planking method with a rub I found at Cook's Fresh Market downtown called "rub with love" and is pretty tasty on the salmon family.

Just a word of caution with the planks. Don't spend lots of money on the special gourmet planks at specialty food stores, youre wasting good beer money that way. Go to home depot and get some UNTREATED cedar fence boards and cut them to length as needed. Got to make sure they are UNTREATED or you will get sick and die.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Try a gourmet cooking shop for untreated cedar planks. some place like Williams/Sonoma or the like.

Dan

·
Registered
288 Posts
half inch thick boards are just fine. Thats about as thin as I have ever found them too and they work. Half inchers are what we used in classes at culinary school.

The difference between cedar "cooking planks"that are sold at specialty stores and the fence boardsat H depot: lots o' money. Same cedar only the special ones are sanded. Just make sure you soak them in water before using them or your boards will flame up like they're made of gas!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts