Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Dip it in egg, then roll in a flour salt and garlic powder combo, then fry in oil. But McFish had it right. It never tastes better then on the shore or around the campfire.

·
Registered
769 Posts
You can eat those things!!!!!!!! All this while I have been throwing them back.
Heard that they were just like carp.

L

·
0 Posts
Shore lunch
I guess thats all that really needs to be said. Is it that the fish is really that good or is it that the whole experience is so great? LOL

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Mix one Egg with a third cup of Mayo till smooth... season fillet and dip in Mayo mix. Coat with either FRESH made breadcrumbs OR Corn Flake crumbs and fry hot and fast in 50-50 corn oil - butter mixture. I can feel my arteries clogging right now!

·
Registered
91 Posts
If Ur into the pan fry method, try a splash olive oil, splash veggie oil, have fillets soaked 50 /50 beer-milk and coat with Uncle Buck's fish fry mix from Bass Pro. Worx for all fillets and trout too...outa this world. They have regular and for most us forum members, the spicy style for Cajun type fryin'...yummy 4 tummy !!!..TrophyTime..

·
Registered
530 Posts
Anyone have a grill or baked way to cook them. I cant have the fat from frying. :'( I know i'm missing the taste of fried walleye.

·
Registered
408 Posts
With some fava beans and a nice chianti. tthhppptt! Just kidding. I'll have to second the flour and corn meal coating, and pan frying.

M

·
0 Posts
Needlesxx - I shared the biggest walleye I ever caught with my family (Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, and Aunt). I baked it using the fake butter (can't remember the brand my parents use - Promise maybe?), some rosemary, some garlic, some pepper. We ate the thing down to the bone - cheeks and all. It was terrific. I think we baked it at 300 or 350 (covered) for about half hour, then checked every 15 minutes until it was done. Very tasty.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Needlesxx

This method you would swear is fried...but it is baked...have had many tell me it is the best fish they have had...get your fillets...cookie sheet covered with foil...spray foil with Pam...preheat oven to 400...go to the baking aisle at Kings/Safeway/Albertsons and buy a product called Oven Fry for Chicken...they make two varieties one is flour based and the other is little crunchy things that are seasoned...DONT BUY THE FLOUR ONE...Buy the crunchy one...I think it is in a brown box...I havent bought it in awhile...when I do I buy like 10 at a time and dump it into a plastic container I have...you can coat the fish in the egg water mix they talk about or just dip it in water and then press fish into the mix on a plate...just pour a little on a plate...you can add more if you need...coat both sides of the fish and place on the foil...if there are bare spots just sprinkle some on with your fingers...walleye fillets are done in 15 to 20 minutes depending on thickness...I start checking at 15 since Walleye is delicate and you dont want to over cook...it comes out crunchy and no grease...it is a lot better than fried ever thought about being...and no greasy mess...if I do trout I fillet them and dont skin them...put the skin side down on the cookie sheet and only coat the filleted flesh side...I have used this for trout, salmon, catfish, roughy, crappie, and perch...it all comes out wonderful...I may be able to find a link for it...

You can click on the picture once you open the link to see a bigger picture...

http://products.peapod.com/4887.html

Let me know if you like it...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanks Zman. I have one trout in the freezer begging to be cooked. I think I will try that this weekend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I like to coat my fillets in Harold Ensley's Fish Fry coating mix. Awesome stuff, the spicy Uncle Bucks is very good as well!
Wash down with your favorite brew! Nothing better folks!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts