Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading and researching some old watershed survey data of the Cumberland Plateau these past few days. Apparently 50-60 years ago, Coosa bass were stocked in one or two Plateau creeks and have survived. They are sparse, elusive, and tough to reach, as some of the populations exist only in 1-2 mile stretches of creeks that are now on private land, tough terrain and lots of wading to reach them. I learned recently that one of these creeks is very close to my domicile, so I thought I'd start trying to catch a Coosa.

Today was primarily a scouting day, but did flip some lures into likely "fishy-looking" spots. Started at the highest point of the river I could reach by main road and worked my way down.

Air temp was around 50, wind was from the east at 10-15 degrees. Didn't take any water temps.

Pics start close to the headwaters, shallow and swift... They end after the river comes off the plateau and mellows out.

The water color changed drastically the farther I got downstream... went from ice clear to emerald.
Enjoy.

Didn't catch any, but had one very interested follower come right up to the bank after my 2" yellow curlytail grub. Red rooster tail, silver Kastmaster, rainbow-colored Meps, white Panther Martin and the yellow curlytail were the lures I tried out today. The curlytail was the only one that had a follower.

Excited to go back when I have a bit more time... today I had an hour and a half before work to scout and pitch some lures.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Great pic's Opry.

When I used to live in Southern Indiana I fished a ton of streams that look very similar to what you have there and I had GREAT success catching both large and smallmouth bass out them them using Blakemore Roadrunners.

You might want to pick a couple up and give them a try.

This is the one I used:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip, PD!
I had the fly rod with me too, but thought better of it, what with all the overhanging tree branches... I'm no trick shot artist just yet. :)

I'm going to try to get back out there some time this week... Had a 7 day work week this week, scheduled for 7 next week too. I'm at work now and just want to go back out and try again...

Would love to find one of these Coosas... I bet 95% of anglers in TN have never seen one. They exist in a very limited geographical area and I happen to live nearby.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Would be cool if you caught one, but it sounds like catfish are much more abundant than said coosa bass, and we all know how well that's been going ;) :D just givin you ****! Its cool that you live in one of the only areas that has them established, just looked them up they are pretty sweet looking! I bet you buck is gonna catch one first!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He may... He just may.

I have a sneaking suspicion that as soon as the weather starts to warm up, we are gonna be in the money. I've been reading some cool books I bought on eBay about fishing out here and all the strange fisheries that exist up here on the Plateau. The East Fork Obey river is minutes from my house, and it dives underground and re-emerges several times from it's headwaters as it travels down to Dale Hollow Lake. Weird river... Lots of real Deliverance-type backwoods on that stretch of stream. I'm bringing a second amendment item when we get down in those woods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts