Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered an adapter for my auger and my question is what kind of drills are people using? I have a mediocre 18V one with 3 batteries but I am wondering if I need to step up to a 24V?

·
Registered
936 Posts
It all depends on the amount of torque it can handle Some people get away with 750lbs but the Milwakee fuel 2704 pushes up to 1200 pounds.

·
Registered
625 Posts
the new lowes kobalt 24v offering is light weight and fairly inexpensive by comparison. got it for xmas and loving it for general work. be sure to get the 2ah battery not the 1.4 or whatever it is.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! I am hoping I can get by with what I have since I have multiple tools that run the same batteries

·
Registered
840 Posts
Like Slayer said, the Milwaukee M-18 brush-less with 750 in-lb of torque is all you need. Paired it with either a Mora or Laser bit and you will be happy forever. They come with Lithium Ion batteries so all you need is 2. They should last you all day long.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
the new lowes kobalt 24v offering is light weight and fairly inexpensive by comparison. got it for xmas and loving it for general work. be sure to get the 2ah battery not the 1.4 or whatever it is.
You might get thru a couple holes at Atown b4 its done. Nope-

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I've heard a lot of guys saying thhe brushless drills are the way to go. What is the difference between a brushless vs other?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
What brand is your 18v? I used the old blue 18v Ryobi for the first year and it did fine with 2 2ah batteries. I have the Milwaukee Fuel now, and it's amazing, but not cheap. THe new ryobi's (neon green) are not built as well as the old blue ones and some folks have had issues.

I'm hearing mixed reviews on the rigid...def plenty of power, but some mechanical issues. I think no matter what you go with, 2 batteries is a good idea, 7" auger max and 3ah or better batteries.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Thats the one I have. 725 torque
Im turning a 6" mora and it performs flawlessly. I drill 40-50 holes/day and have yet to kill 1 battery.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a black and decker, 6" strikemaster lazer. Teach, that is a smoking deal!! Credit card is paid off so I just might buy that anyway

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We are a Milwaukee dealer and I can't come close to that price. Tangler, it says drill driver so I think it can do both. And 4ah batteries

1 - 20 of 172 Posts