Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

181 - 186 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
For safety, buy a hammer drill, just don't use the hammer setting while drilling. You need the stabilizer bar ("sissy bar") so that you can hold it with both hands. There is so much torque with these new drills that you can easily tweak your wrist! My buddy did and it took months to heal...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah, I just tweaked my wrist when the auxiliary handle flew off right as it made it through the ice. I just ordered a Clam plate. Live and learn, I guess.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Some don't like the clam plate, say it's too heavy. I love mine, & it sure beats the days of carrying a gas auger!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some don't like the clam plate, say it's too heavy. I love mine, & it sure beats the days of carrying a gas auger!
I got this, cheap and lightweight. However if the hole is deep watch your knuckles. When you get through the last bit it can slam your fist right into the ice.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I got this, cheap and lightweight. However if the hole is deep watch your knuckles. When you get through the last bit it can slam your fist right into the ice.
Ha, This happened to us 2 weeks ago @ Steamboat Lake! We would not have gotten through if the ice was a 1/4 in. thicker :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just use my left hand and let the drill sit against my side. That way it pushes against my body. Doesn't cost a thing. Lol

181 - 186 of 186 Posts