2,320 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sen. Rollie Heath, a Democrat from Boulder, said it makes no sense to educate illegal immigrant students through high school only to make it difficult to attend college.
I agree, why are they getting all the way through high school?

Just a question. Do you suppose Hillary would have turned out to be the better President than Obama?

SS
What do you say about John McCain?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Darrin said:
SO a kid from Mexico or China gets in-state tuition while a kid from Cheyenne is forced to pay full price huh... this is RETARDED. And FYI the Democrats should realize that this will only harm their special pet, the teachers union, as State colleges in Colorado will lose out on a LOT of money due to this.

Don't panic yet though, it probably will not pass once people catch wind of it.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
There is a good argument in the article that these kids did not choose to be illegals, their parents did. Plus, this is available to kids who have already been through our high school system for three years and have graduated. So I think it is a tough issue for these kids and families. It seems like we want to encourage young kids to better themselves and Lord knows that many of us have a hard time funding our kids' education even though we're eligible for in-state tuition.

Since it may appear that a measure such as this would reward illegal immigration, maybe it would be better to establish in-state scholarships that are funded by the businesses that employed their parents. A special "donation" to this fund would be required, in addition to other fines, whenever illegal immigrants are found working at your business.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
work2fish, I understand that the children didn't choose to be illegal. But at the end of the day, they are still here illegally. They would still be employed illegally to pay their share. If they got through college, they would still be illegal, and only be employed by those companies who are breaking the law by employing them. I'd like to hear what types of jobs, that require, or hell it even benefits to have a college education, that hires illegals. I'm going to assume that there isn't very many if any at all. I'm going to assume, any job that looks to college as a decision maker in hiring someone, has learned what the word illegal means, and doesn't bother.

This is a situation where Washingtons lack of action on possibly creating a path for citizenship for such people is to blame. But even if such a thing was created, I believe the number of people turning themselves in to get on such a path would be quite low, because it would be wrong if some sort of penalty was not enforced for already breaking the law. And it should be those fines, which fund such a thing. Then and only then would I back college funding for those people.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts