Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is not a Lowrance vs Humminbird debate thread, but I have a few questions on value.

Seems to me that there are a couple comparable units from these two reputable companies and the prices are a bit skewed.

The 859ci HD DI is very similar FEATURE-WISE to the Elite 7 HDI.

The 899ci is very similar FEATURE-WISE to the HDS7.

All 4 units are 7" displays, so that's one point of commonality.

The 859ci has downscan, no sidescan. So does the Elite 7. Both units can handle most maps cards just fine and have a similar processor.

Now. Onto the upgraded models.

The HDS7 had sidescan AND downscan, can handle ANY card on the market with extreme efficiency and has all the power and features one could really ever want for boat fishing in-shore.

The 899ci is also capable of both sidescan and downscan, rocks the crap out of all the maps cards and is just as feature-rich as the HDS7.

Elite 7 HDI-- $599
HB859ci----- $699

HDS7-------- $750
HB899ci----- $1000

There are other considerations such as AutoChart vs. Genesis, Lakemaster vs Lake Insight.

Are there feature comparisons I am missing? Is spending the extra $100-$250 for Hummingbird worth it?

I'm going to be making a purchase in the next few months... Just curious as to which of these feature-sets and prices are the best value for the $$$.

Gracias.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I own the 899 and auto chart, just bought a 597 for the bow as well. Let me know if you want to know anything about it.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say sidescan is probably unnecessary for me at this point... Don't see myself using it all that much.

So that brings it to the Elite 7 HDI and the 859ci.

Any thoughts there?

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Owen, you live in Tennessee now...get with the program and get the equipment that goes along with the territory!!!

The Hobiescan!!!
or the...
LowBirdLar!!!

:thumb::biggrin1::biggrin1::thumb:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL...

Yea I live in Tennessee... With huge waters and tons of em. I need all the freakin help I can get!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Owen, you live in Tennessee now...get with the program and get the equipment that goes along with the territory!!!

The Hobiescan!!!
or the...
LowBirdLar!!!

:thumb::biggrin1::biggrin1::thumb:
LOL, you goof. He might get it mixed up with the Red Neck Smoke alarm.:thumb:

·
Registered
24,557 Posts

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I'd say sidescan is probably unnecessary for me at this point... Don't see myself using it all that much.

So that brings it to the Elite 7 HDI and the 859ci.

Any thoughts there?
AutoChart is a one time purchase. Insight is every year. Birds are made in Merica in Alabama. I like the birds. They fit my needs and budget. Both are good units. Go play with them, see what you like.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't have anywhere to play with them around here. I have YouTube videos and an occasional opportunity to see one in action at a local lake from time to time. I REALLY liked redleader's HDS... The GPS was excellent and the graph was top notch.

Haven't had any experience with Birds... But what I'm researching and seeing on tape is excellent.

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Cruise to BPS in Nashville bud, not that far away from you! If you need directions let me know, just head up Briley Pkwy to Music City Drive,I'll get you there!!! ::) :thumb:

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Don't have anywhere to play with them around here. I have YouTube videos and an occasional opportunity to see one in action at a local lake from time to time. I REALLY liked redleader's HDS... The GPS was excellent and the graph was top notch.

Haven't had any experience with Birds... But what I'm researching and seeing on tape is excellent.
Dude, they're both great units. Comes down to personal preference.

Cruise to BPS in Nashville bud, not that far away from you! If you need directions let me know, just head up Briley Pkwy to Music City Drive,I'll get you there!!! ::) :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts