Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering a few things about targeting the elusive wiper on the fly rod.

1. What is the best time of day?

2. Is it better if it's cloudy or clear?

3. Choppy water or glass?

4. How deep should I expect them to be this time of year?

I'll take any other advice from you master wiper fishers as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Heres some answers....but by no means gospel...wipers do what they want it seems, they can be impossible to pattern.

I like cloudy days with chop....the more the better it seems, wipers really turn on when foul weather rolls in--which can make for tough fishing conditions. wear waders and a gore tex top, and be prepared to dodge some waves....

This year they should be running shallow...look for water in the mid 50s....anywhere from a ft deep to over your head. i usually start casting at around 3 or 4 ft deep, but always keep an eye out for signs of fish around you at any depth.

warm overcast days are my favorite...with a light breeze. days like that are rare in colorado, but if you spot one make sure you head out to the lake. early mornings are very good, and also late into the night...anytime for me has been good except bright sunny ways with no wind. ive never had much luck on days like that...for any species of fish i think, wipers especially.

get used to casting in the wind---which i why i always suggest using a heavy rod with some backbone to it...you cant cast a size 4 Clouser with a 5 weight rod in wind very well, if at all....no matter how good you think you are. Go get an 7 or 8 wt....it will work much better for you.

Wipers are fairly simple once you find them feeding....but thats the hard part. sometimes it takes several trips to locate them, but once you do..well, its worth it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
dude there are like six topics going on about this same thing right now...just look for them and pick up what advice you need in them.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went out the other day and casted till my arm fell off. No love from the wiper though. Thanks for the info rottal I think I was fishing to deep. I also think it needs to stay a little warmer up here for them to really turn on. Oh well I'll be out trying again as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I just started to really get into wiper fishing and read a recent article in F&H News about wipers. It said that some of the best wiper fishing was when the wind was blowing hard and churning up the mud line by the bank. The wipers will move in shallow and feed. It said face the wind and fish shallow. What all wiper fisheries have you hit this year? Been doing any good? I have hit Union a few times and seem some nice ones come out of there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts