Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
P I K E
10,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the new CDC recommendations on wearing face mask/shields to fight the spread of this damn crap without taking the needed ones out of the hands of the people that really need them I had a thought! I know, Tony thinking is dangerous, could be worse! A couple years ago a bunch of us on here got a deal from a company on fishing buffs, I ordered about a half dozen. BAM, kill two birds...protect your face from the virus and also from the new season hatch! I found where we ordered them from and they are running a great deal right now! Here's the link and stay safe!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Great idea. Both my wife and I have buffs but never even thought of using them for this purpose. Thanks

·
P I K E
10,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's called "an ounce of prevention!" Every little bit will help since they are now saying it passes a lot easier than was thought.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I fail to understand how non N95 face shields will help stop the spread of the virus.
From the discussions on our campus, I am of the understanding that an alternate type covering such as a bandana can significantly stop the rate of droplet introduction, which is a key purpose of a mask (source control).

While a bandanna may provide some protection against droplet exposure, it more likely helps drastically reduce the spread from infected people who are Asymptomatic (which agencies are saying could account for up to 50% of people who get it).

An N95 might be most important when a person is knowingly exposed to contaminants (i.e silica) or is exposed to a potential carrier that is not masked (I.e hospital patient). I am sure there are many more technical advantages to N95s, but its pretty cool to see these agencies and companies become more transparent during this experience, relaxing reuse protocols and expirations dates of products and recommending alternate masking options to the general public.

·
P I K E
10,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you J.!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Cool looking but "lightweight and breathable" aren't qualities that I am looking for when choosing a mask for this.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
We've got a general face mask requirement as of yesterday. Saw people out and about this morning without them though. Most effective will be painter's masks with their filters.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well I still have my flight helmet with oxygen face mask and hose. Not sure what to do with the hose - perhaps run it back under my armpit but that would probably be even more unhealthy. :eek:

Reading the info on the buffs it states it is supposed to stop particles as well as being light and breathable. Better than nothing I would think.

·
P I K E
10,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I still have my flight helmet with oxygen face mask and hose. Not sure what to do with the hose - perhaps run it back under my armpit but that would probably be even more unhealthy. :eek:

Reading the info on the buffs it states it is supposed to stop particles as well as being light and breathable. Better than nothing I would think.
(y) ounce of prevention! (y)

·
Registered
553 Posts
We've got a general face mask requirement as of yesterday. Saw people out and about this morning without them though. Most effective will be painter's masks with their filters.
Some people just don’t feel comfortable wearing a mask over their face like my self and hundreds of others. But then again I do not get into peoples grills and am pretty distant. I do recommend others that are around a lot Of people wear it. Stay healthy and safe everybody. Good bless!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Nobody is comfortable wearing a mask. You wear one to protect others more than yourself. To not wear a mask is selfish.

They claim now that 40% of those who have covid19 show no symptoms but still spread the virus the same as someone with symptoms. So, nobody knows if they have it or not and could be spreading it to others.

Stop thinking about yourself and wear a mask.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Nobody is comfortable wearing a mask. You wear one to protect others more than yourself. To not wear a mask is selfish.

They claim now that 40% of those who have covid19 show no symptoms but still spread the virus the same as someone with symptoms. So, nobody knows if they have it or not and could be spreading it to others.

Stop thinking about yourself and wear a mask.
Perhaps you would be willing to share your sources. And the date of the claim. Because every time that something comes out regarding this virus, things seem to change. That is true in regard to mask use. It is true in regard to how many people are asymptomatic. It is true in regard to how contagious it is for an asymptomatic carrier.

Here are a couple of facts. Colorado has a population of around 6,000,000. Care to guess how many people are currently hospitalized due to Covid? 200. Care to guess what the highest number of hospitalized patients in Colorado was? 900.

People would be well advised to not spend so much time watching the news. And to start thinking FOR themself.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I'd wear a mask if Colorado only had one case. I don't want to be number two and I don't want to spread it to number three. Do you?

Too bad it's not that low. Chaffee County has 123 cases and 19 deaths.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I'd wear a mask if Colorado only had one case. I don't want to be number two and I don't want to spread it to number three. Do you?

Too bad it's not that low. Chaffee County has 123 cases and 19 deaths.
Your first statement is just silly. You'd wear a mask if Colorado only had one case? You would be one of the few willing to do that.

And no, I don't care if I am number two or number three. Unless you have some underlying health condition, your odds of getting truly sick are incredibly low.

I'm not saying not to wear masks when in public spaces. But it should be a choice. And NO WAY should an American be forced to wear a mask outdoors in parks and such.

Ask yourself this question. If masks were truly the way to keep the virus from spreading, why can't we open everything back up (again, not what I am suggesting, but people need to THINK about these things).

We have gone from "flatten the curve" which I was on board with, to I don't even know what now. You won't stop the spread until there is a vaccine. And I'm not willing to put my life on hold until that happens.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Wearing a mask is hardly putting my life on hold. I don't wear it outside where I am most of the time.

I have lung problems among other problems and i'm 77. You wouldn't wear a mask if you were me? Dying while gasping for a breath is not my first choice of ways to die. I'd sooner be mauled by a bear while bear hunting. Go out like a man and not laying in bed. A mask doesn't bother me and I don't give a **** what anybody thinks about it. Just don't walk up to me while not wearing a mask or you're in for a surprise.

137,000 have died so far in the US. You aren't really bionic man and can be next. Good luck with your attitude.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Wearing a mask is hardly putting my life on hold. I don't wear it outside where I am most of the time.

I have lung problems among other problems and i'm 77. You wouldn't wear a mask if you were me? Dying while gasping for a breath is not my first choice of ways to die. I'd sooner be mauled by a bear while bear hunting. Go out like a man and not laying in bed. A mask doesn't bother me and I don't give a **** what anybody thinks about it. Just don't walk up to me while not wearing a mask or you're in for a surprise.

137,000 have died so far in the US. You aren't really bionic man and can be next. Good luck with your attitude.
You might want to calm down a bit and think logically.

First, its not just putting on a mask. It is everything that has gone along with it (including crippling what was a raging economy).

Second, read the mask orders from places like Jefferson County/Tri County. It requires wearing a mask, even if outside, if you are around people who are not part of your household. So yes, that has a dramatic effect on most peoples life if they follow the regulation.

77 and lung problems is high risk. But you wearing anything less than a N95 mask will not protect you from contracting COVID. And what do you mean by your statement about walking up to you without a mask and being in for a surprise. Because to me, that means you are threatening violence. Which, with you being a 77 year old with bad lungs, likely could mean a trip to the hospital for you. And/or a trip to jail. Neither of which are a place you want to be in general, but especially if you have a phobia of COVID.

Finally, 137,000 deaths. First, that statistic is overstated, as if someone had COVID along with a heart attack/stroke, car accident........ Do you know how that death is recorded? COVID.

And even if that wasn't the case, 137,000 deaths in a US population of 330,000,000 is, overall, pretty insignificant.

Turn off the TV. Do some research for yourself. Practice critical thinking. You are almost certainly going to be ok.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I really hate it when someone assumes they know so much and whoever they're talking to knows nothing.

I'm done with you on this subject. I know what you watch by what you're saying.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I really hate it when someone assumes they know so much and whoever they're talking to knows nothing.

I'm done with you on this subject. I know what you watch by what you're saying.
Sorry that it is hard for some people to deal with logic and facts over emotion. But better decisions are made that way.

I do wish you good health.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Don't be so full of yourself. You haven't changed my mind about any of it and I saw no facts from you.

Wearing a mask isn't hard. Stop being so anal about it and do it for others. I don't know if you have a family but how would you feel if you gave them the virus? I don't want to be responsible for giving the virus to anybody. I live in a building with 43 tenants mostly old farts. It would be a morgue if someone gets it.

I know I said I was done but this is too important to not talk about it. We shouldn't need to be told to do something. We know what the right thing to do is and should do it on our own.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts