Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fortunate to meet BORN2FSH and KAJITAN.  They allowed me to fish with them at their spot.  Unfortunately I lost 3 fish in the first critical hour while he landed 4 rainbows in the first hour (16", 17", 18", and 20").  He released the 17" rainbow.  I am still reviewing in my mind why I wasn't able to set the hook properly (hooks are sharp - I think overeagerness was the cause).  I was at Stoll Mtn in 15 fow (straight out from the outhouse).  There are two pieces of 2X2 pressboard laying on the ice near where I fished.  BORN2FSH used green ratsos exclusively with waxworms.  Other successful jigs were pink rat finke and orange ratsos with waxworms.  I appreciated his friendliness - he even gave me a 16 1/4" brown trout as I was leaving (probably felt sorry for me). 

After the wind blew someone's ice tent off the ice along with various other items, I decided to leave at 10AM while I was still alive.  P.S.  If anyone lost a gray hooded sweatshirt with jersey gloves in one pocket and white gloves in the other pocket, let me know.  My son grabbed it as it flew by.

I headed to Tarryall while my son and I got our limit of stockers (red and rainbow power bait).  It helped heal my damaged ego. 

Lessons from today for all "11 Milers"

1)  Like the military says, strike first, strike fast, and strike hard.
      Get to 11 Mile and have your first hole augered by 6:30AM.
      6:30 to 7:30AM is magical at 11 Mile.
2)  Know where you are going so you don't waste time.  If you are smart, go with someone who has already gone 3 times and paid his dues and knows the best spots like FISHSLAYER or BORN2FSH and buy him lunch for the favor.

Looking forward to January 7 and having LUNKERLAKER lead us to the Promised Land (no pressure!)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good to meet you and your son. I still can't get over how fat that brown was...it looked like a freakin' carp!

After the wind died and the blizzard passed we had some more good action...but I must agree, that first hour was fairly impressive....

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I lost a sportsmans warehouse bucket out there today and almost lost the cap to my auger but had my girlfriend chase it across the ice lol. Thank you to the fisherman that grabbed it and handed it to her, she was about to run across the pressure ridge had i not whistled to her about a dozen times.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Man I hate the wind,sure glad I decided to go up on Wed. Pink is the only color I could get antyhing to hit on both days I was up there this week.Glad you and your son were able to atleast catch some fish at tarryall,even if they were stockers,(better than a skunk?)I'm sure it was good just spending the day with your son and meeting a couple other crazy hard water fishermen :)Good advice on getting up there early...but damn,I'd have to leave my place by 3 a.m.to have a hole by 6:30 :-\

·
Registered
82 Posts
FearNoFish -- I think I saw that bucket go flying by about 100 yds away..that wind was fairly strong.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K---That brown trout had a wide body like a bass. I caught one just like it years ago. It was even 16". That earlier fish was one of those brood stockers I think because the meat was still white. That's what I think this was because when I cleaned it --it was still only light pink and not the usual deep color. I think they might get that weird shape from being at the hatchery too long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts