Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
surprised nobody posted this yet.

http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/News-Release-Details.aspx?NewsID=5870

according to the sewing circle on the inferior messageboard, fees could almost double. (30 dollar increase)
I guess the shock n' net assclowns in gunnison, routt and moffat county need a raise, since they obviously exceeded their kill quota. and im sure the #fightfor15 battle is gonna be fought at the ANS inspection stations... effing bullpoop.

with that said and i'm talking out of both sides of my mouth..., Im not surprised and this was a long time coming. surprised that they held off this long on jacking fees up. I can name reasons why I'm pissed off all day, but the real one is that I know that im a financial cuckold, and at the end of the day... no matter how much the CPW will gangbang/spitroast/creampie my wallet with their homies... I'm still going to pay to legally fish in this state.
when I fished in northern NM this year in hopes of finding an untouched utopia, I met fly fishermen and pike guys who traveled to elevenmile to fish for quality pike, because they did not like the attitude their state had towards their favorite species of fish... and compared to us, they pay more to fish less water. (their fees were higher than wyoming and legal access to a lot of lakes sucked)
However, I will be fishing states more that have their **** together and love our money... like nebraska, wyoming, kansas, oklahoma, texas and florida.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Man. That's rough. If they were doing things that seemed like they were doing their best to enhance and nourish all the fish that are here I could swallow that a little easier. The way it is now I feel like they're against everything other than trout and salmon.

But like you said. I'll end up paying it. Which blows

·
Registered
625 Posts
Wyoming loves your money, especially if you have a green license plate and speed. My family is the and I love love love fishing Wyoming, but be real. Three days there pays for your entire resident colo license. An out of state annual in wy is $112. I'm cheap, I never want to waste money just to waste it, but of all the things I'd give money to, the great outdoors and its stewards are something I'm happy to continue to pay a nominal fee for, even a slightly larger one.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
The money I don't care about, the policies of the CPW that don't make sense I do.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wyoming loves your money, especially if you have a green license plate and speed. My family is the and I love love love fishing Wyoming, but be real. Three days there pays for your entire resident colo license. An out of state annual in wy is $112. I'm cheap, I never want to waste money just to waste it, but of all the things I'd give money to, the great outdoors and its stewards are something I'm happy to continue to pay a nominal fee for, even a slightly larger one.
They love my money but hate me. That's cuz Wyoming is the New Jersey of the Rockies, lol.

See slayer's fall/spring reports on why I'd happily fish in Wyoming. A day fishing in the underfished Lakes on the other side of the state line equates to about 5 dollars more in cost to fishing a South Park slampig lake When you factor in gas and bait.... And I see my efforts more rewarded.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
hold on to your wallet. it isn't only the fishing license that will go up, the hunters will really see a boost in fees, they will have to take out a loan to hunt

·
Registered
177 Posts
Most folks understand inflation, higher costs, blah, blah. Someone above mentioned the P word, so we're paying for bird watching, etc. Our population has been growing leaps and bounds due to a better economy than most and the influx due to MJ. But when was the last time the division leased any new property? They've actually lost some leases. The private clubs seem to have no problem leasing crap loads of access. So...
#1 Have bigger user base.
#2 Have less access.
#3 Increase fees.
Repeat #3. Win, win, win.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Entrance fees don't help the wildlife budget although they merged they still have separate budgets.

Don't get me started on the habitat stamp.

I get that operating costs have gone up... you can't wait a decade then double fees in a year without creating a generation gap in people interested in fishing. Fees doubling or coming close won't impact most of us buying a fishing license, but to the families that go once or twice a year many will opt to do something else. Before someone hits me with the cost of a round of golf or a night at the movies, save it. We need to grow fishing in Colorado even if only for selfish reasons like keeping wildlife areas open to the public open and not sold off to build more housing and sardine more people into the state. If the younger generations don't care about fishing and hunting it'll impact all of us. A huge hike in fees will keep too many people from experiences the joy of hunting and fishing IMO. I went to the Denver meeting I'll be at the Ft. Collins meeting too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seems like no one at CPW wants to talk about our last fee increase of $10.00 in 2006 . That was the start of the Habitat Stamp program . From the hunting perspective I think its a good program but as a fisherman I think the only people that have benefited are the land owners and TU . Anglers take a few minutes and check out the CPW habitat stamp web site . Are you happy with the habitat stamp fee ?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I don't really mind the increase....Maybe for my own selfish reasons. The way I see it, less people fishing the better. I can only hope that a fee increase will keep a lot of the pond murderers away...could be hopeful thinking. Everywhere you go is filled with fisherman, so I don't exactly see a reason to grow fishing in the state. IMO, those families that go once or twice a year are frequently the ones leaving trash behind. Plus those families are the reason the CPW is so focused on stocker trout... I'd much rather see less, more passionate fisherman, than a large amount of casual, trash bearing fisherman. I'm sure the youth licenses will stay relatively cheap. At the same time I hate the way CPW manages most waters, but since that won't change the only way I see better fishing coming about is less fisherman.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I don't know if the increase will deter people from fishing or encourage them to fish illegally. I think those that leave trash behind and don't give a s**t about sustainable/quality fisheries won't give a s**t about fishing without a license.

Then again I don't really see families being impacted as kids under 16 don't need a fishing license anyway.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't really mind the increase....Maybe for my own selfish reasons. The way I see it, less people fishing the better. I can only hope that a fee increase will keep a lot of the pond murderers away...could be hopeful thinking. Everywhere you go is filled with fisherman, so I don't exactly see a reason to grow fishing in the state. IMO, those families that go once or twice a year are frequently the ones leaving trash behind. Plus those families are the reason the CPW is so focused on stocker trout... I'd much rather see less, more passionate fisherman, than a large amount of casual, trash bearing fisherman. I'm sure the youth licenses will stay relatively cheap. At the same time I hate the way CPW manages most waters, but since that won't change the only way I see better fishing coming about is less fisherman.
Most pond murdering dickbags are the ones who don't know what a fishing license is, and maintain a no-snitch policy when it comes to that because they are ignorant to why you pay for a license and where the funds go. IMO I wish fishermen (especially bass and laker guys) maintained a 1%er like carmarderie when it comes to protecting their more vulnerable lakes, given the attitude of people in this state it's the only way to protect our lakes... Since CPW can't hire enough game wardens to do the job.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Most pond murdering dickbags are the ones who don't know what a fishing license is, and maintain a no-snitch policy when it comes to that because they are ignorant to why you pay for a license and where the funds go. IMO I wish fishermen (especially bass and laker guys) maintained a 1%er like carmarderie when it comes to protecting their more vulnerable lakes, given the attitude of people in this state it's the only way to protect our lakes... Since CPW can't hire enough game wardens to do the job.
Yeah you're right. It makes me boil inside when I hear people complain about paying to fish, like they think all these fish are native and not stocked. It'd be nice if the rangers that do exist would do their jobs. I was at a local pond (that isn't worth anything anymore) the other day, a ranger drove by and never got out to check my license. I see people fishing this place all the time and can only assume some don't have licenses, would be nice if people started getting in trouble for that.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
Yeah you're right. It makes me boil inside when I hear people complain about paying to fish, like they think all these fish are native and not stocked. It'd be nice if the rangers that do exist would do their jobs. I was at a local pond (that isn't worth anything anymore) the other day, a ranger drove by and never got out to check my license. I see people fishing this place all the time and can only assume some don't have licenses, would be nice if people started getting in trouble for that.
The only time I got checked the last 2 years was when I was in Georgetown and I was fishing by the Rangers apartment. He more or less was bullshitting with me instead of checking me... Before that it was a brush city cop who was answering a call because someone complained I was ice fishing on the city pond in town.

In Wy or NE, I get checked every time in every place just about, even in BFE.. By the cops more than rangers because that's their resource and they are usually fishermen themselves... Enforcement is a joke in this state. I'd love to see cops get more involved especially on a local level. Till then it's up to fishermen vigilance online and off. I have/will tell a MFer what's up if I see bullshit happen on my lakes from seeing a boy keeping a limit of bass outta a small pond or seeing someone keeping a 30 inch laker in a grand county reservoir... If you love your lakes you'll do the same thing cuz the Internet don't do us any favors...

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
the attitude on not buying a license will increase with a higher price to fish. the only way to stop that is to make the fine much higher. as it is now the fine is only about the cost of not buying a license for 2-3 years. how many of you get checked every 5 years or more. until last year when I was checked, it had been over 15 years when I was last checked. 15 years of fishing and a fine of less that 100.00 is way cheaper than buying a license

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Goon, do you think you are checked more often in WY and NE because of your green plates? While I agree enforcement is lax, I'm not sure that your analogy is fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts