Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I browse the craigslist's boat section almost every day to kill time and it has become clear to me that there are patterns of word usage that do not fall within dictionary definitions. Some examples:

Vintage: a piece of junk. Not to be confused with the word used to describe wine. Wine usually gets better with time. Not so for the boats with the word “vintage” attached to them.

Free trailer: a piece of junk trailer with a piece of junk boat that you have to pay for (and you can't get the "free" trailer without buying the boat).

Perfect size: about as big as a bath tub.

Won’t last long: 25% over priced (instead of 100% overpriced).

Great deal: also 25% over priced (instead of 100% overpriced).

Fishing machine: a meh fishing boat, usually accompanied by pictures of a dude with some fish to prove that “this boat catches fish.”

This boat catches fish: whatever.

I’ve had this boat on giant lakes: I only venture out on lakes bigger than 100 acres on very calm days and very close to shore.

I’ve had this boat in 4 foot waves: I was caught off guard on occasion in 2 foot waves and shat my pants on those days.

Please feel free to add to the list.

One of my favorite quotes: "anything that says "quality" isn't quality." :D

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Ran last time I parked it.

If you can figure out how to get it started..more power to ya..otherwise I'm selling as is..

Low hours..Haven't used it in four years...

It's been sitting outside..the seats are destroyed and the floor's rotted out..wiring doesn't work and the tires are flat.

Starts but won't idle..I'm sure it's something cheap and simple.

I have no idea what's wrong with this boat,,,but the last two times I had it out..It left me stranded on the lake.

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
One of a kind= because everyone else that ever owned one like this were so ashamed of the laughs they got from fellow fishermen, they buried them in their back yards to get rid of them forever!!!

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
One Owner: because nobody will ever buy this POS!!!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My II Cents

I look at the craigslist ads for boats almost daily as a time killer also.

I like how you took the words out of my mouth about some of the boats on there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well-loved: "I treat my stuff like sh*t"

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I was always partial to the discription:

"CREAM PUFF CONDITION" ;D

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some classics there, folks! :lol:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, guess you haven't found your new boat yet. :)
Nope. I almost pulled the trigger on a $47K boat in March but didn’t. Less than stellar credit due to a bad investment deal was going to translate into an interest rate that I wasn’t willing to pay, so I said “no thanks.” Given that boat prices have been going up at 4-5% in the last decade, I could justify paying a rate of 6.00% or less (vs waiting to pay cash). Beyond that, it's a tough argument. I don’t believe in destiny, but I guess it's just as well. I’ll just buy a more modest boat next year with cash and be debt free (in terms of my boat). Realistically, I might only have used the boat 10 times (or less) so far this year anyway, so it’s hard to justify the cost. My pockets aren't deep enough to justify over $100 in interest expenses and depreciation per fishing trip on a boat. :D Maybe if I made a quarter million dollars... :lol:

Even if I had bought a boat, I would still be looking at boats.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Nope. I almost pulled the trigger on a $47K boat in March but didn’t. Less than stellar credit due to a bad investment deal was going to translate into an interest rate that I wasn’t willing to pay, so I said “no thanks.” Given that boat prices have been going up at 4-5% in the last decade, I could justify paying a rate of 6.00% or less (vs waiting to pay cash). Beyond that, it's a tough argument. I don’t believe in destiny, but I guess it's just as well. I’ll just buy a more modest boat next year with cash and be debt free (in terms of my boat). Realistically, I might only have used the boat 10 times (or less) so far this year anyway, so it’s hard to justify the cost. My pockets aren't deep enough to justify over $100 in interest expenses and depreciation per fishing trip on a boat. :D Maybe if I made a quarter million dollars... :lol:

Even if I had bought a boat, I would still be looking at boats.
Damn AO you think this **** out. I decided I needed a new boat and found a decent loan and said hell yeah ill buy it. Depreciwhat?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn AO you think this **** out. I decided I needed a new boat and found a decent loan and said hell yeah ill buy it. Depreciwhat?
What's a brain to do on an idle day? :biggrin1: What can I say, I think about things that people don't bother themselves with. The other day, I was taking a piss. The piss was splattering around the toilet and it occurred to me that this was happening because the surface of the bowl wasn't perfectly smooth. What would it cost to design a perfectly smooth toilet bowl? What would be the cost vs benefits? A life free of piss splattering has gotta be priceless, right? :biggrin1:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts