Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been pulling Crankbaits at night the past few weeks with no luck. Trying to learn what may work best at night fishing for walleye. What have you guys and gals been pulling? Where do you target fish when out on the dark water? Not using planer boards just looking at my precision trolling book and running lures at different depth.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
JT

E

·
0 Posts
Try to use rattles too. Also you might have better luck at night if you are dragging the crank on some structure and letting it bounce around.

I've never really had much luck with suspended fish at night, but I've only nightfished Chatfield.

·
Registered
935 Posts
What flyfisherman do at night is use dark-colored flies. This works very well. White streamers don't work well at night, but black ones do.

You might want to try colors that will be most visible at night, which means they should either glow or be very dark, so they contrast as much as possible with the already dark, but usually not completely black sky. Having a little bit of highly reflective material on them to catch star/moonlight couldn't hurt, I guess.

Some people like rattles, which add to the vibrations made by 'swimming' crankbaits. Fish can sense the swimming vibrations alone, but the rattle might be make them a little more interested.

I've seen a black rattletrap with an irridescent fish scale pattern on the side that might work at night.

·
Registered
988 Posts
If you have no luck with rattles just go back to the basics. Use live bait, nothing out fishes that in my opinion. The natural smell and movements are unbeatable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts