Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never caught anything on one. I fish from shore. Teach me how to catch fish on a crankbait/jerkbait.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Just get out and start throwing them!! Once you catch a few you will start to get your confidence built up... Once your confidence is up you will use them more and catch more fish.

There are so many types and brands for different situations... i have had the best luck on deep divers... But then again I caught a couple on deep divers so i gained confidence and now use those the most...

Try all types of retrieves... Slow, fast, jerking, pausing, and combinations of all the above.... You really never know what kinda retrieve they want until you get out there and start trying stuff!!

I would suggest taking a trip to a place that holds the type of fish you want to target..... ONLY bring cranks/jerks(Mayve some shallow running and some deeper running so you can cover more of the water column.).. Dont bring the good ole go to lure that you default to when you arent catching. Commit to using the cranks/jerks the entire trip regardless.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Some of my most favoritest baits for sure. Various sizes of lipless cranks will prolly catch just about anything that swims. If you got a bassy place without tons of weeds roll out there and throw some 3/8 or 1/2oz...even if there's some weeds it can work just not like surface mats of weeds or sth.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Shore fishing you want shallow to medium running cranks. A strike king KVD 1.5 will fit the bill. Shad colors are best. I usually have a white belly(sexy shad) and a chrome (chrome or gold sexy shad).

These baits are meant to be fished erratic, a medium retrieve, with some mixed in snaps of the rod, pauses of the reel handle are the trigger. One must find "trigger" for any given day. Parallel banks with them, and always make contact with structure. They come thru weeds surprisingly well, IF you learn to give it some slack and snap the living daylights out of it, the weeds generally pop free, and hold on when doing so.

Jerks I could write forever on, such a versatile bait. and they catch fish year round. I am not sure what you are targeting, but eyes like slower steadier retrieves, and this retrieve is best at night.

Daylight calls for bigger moves. Snapping slack line is the trigger here. Less length of pause in warm water.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Husky Jerks (of any color really) I typically use the HJ8 or HJ10; Xraps and rogues are supposed to work well. i have never really used them though

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
PM sent. Keep in mind your line diameter as well. Need to get a foot deeper? Use 8#. Need a foot shallower use 12#. Etc. Most stated running depths are based on 10lb test. I'm pretty sure the Rapala stated depths are deeper than they actually run (based on trolling I'm guessing) Super Rogues run at their stated 4' where HJ10's say 8' max but it's more like 3-3.5' depending on line diameter. I usually carry a rod with 6# and a rod with 8# and if I hit rocks with the 6# I'll switch it over to the 8# rod. Natural colors work best although I cleaned house the other day with clown. At night, I think color gets bumped down the list of important factors to consider as opposed to day.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off, what is the difference between a crankbait, swimbait, jerkbait, etc... I bought one today I think is a jerkbait. I also bought one that I think is a swimbait. What tactics do I use? What colors and sizes should I buy?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Crankbaits require constant movement to provide action so technically a jerkbait and a swimbait are Crankbaits. Floating rapalas can be considered both a jerkbait and crankbait and also a third category of minnowbait. Lol! Its a confusing hot mess. For eyes, stick with suspending minnow-shaped jerkbait s. I have a bunch of xrap shallow shads but have yet to catch an eye on one but I know they work. I know guys who kill at Chatty with shad raps off a boat but they dive too deep for shore fishing. Caught a few eyes on smaller soft plastic swimbaits but they aren't as productive as the jerkbaits. Thats not to say they dont work...they do and the size tends to be better on the fish but if you are still struggling to get bit on a jerkbait, id hold off on the swimbaits. The smallies sure like them swimbaits tho.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
First off, what is the difference between a crankbait, swimbait, jerkbait, etc... I bought one today I think is a jerkbait. I also bought one that I think is a swimbait. What tactics do I use? What colors and sizes should I buy?

The way I would define that would be;
1) A jerk bait is separated by it's ability to suspend. Where as a crank will normally either float up to the top, or sink down to the bottom when it's is not being retrieved. So by said criteria jerkbait's are crank bait's but not all crank bait's are jerk baits (if that makes sense). I would generalize a Crank bait as a sub-surface lure normally equipped with treble hooks which is imparted with action by either being retrieved or trolled through the water.
2) A swimbait could encompass an other wide verity of lures, really technically I believe a swimbait is a rubber bait, even in that category there's multiple verities. Then there are also "hard" swimbaits which may in fact technically be mag cranks. I guess it depends on the source of info. From my understanding the popularity of swimbaits stemmed from bass fishing on the west coast where bass angles knew certain fisheries held potentially world record bass. Stocked rainbow trout were the primary forage for such bass and thus the development of lures which matched that forage gained popularity. Swimbaits in this sense are very large lures (hard or soft) which tend to meticulously imitate trout. Whole lines of tackle, rods reels ex. are made specifically for fishing these types of lures which normally range from 2-8oz.

Well there's a little over view, if you're interested in swimbaits check out FishDr posts, that's pretty much all he fishes. Also look at swimbaits on tackle ware house, you will find some for hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried a couple different crank/swimbaits last night.

Nothing.

Can anyone suggest like one or two exact lures to look for? I am headed to Discount Tackle in a couple of minutes and will look at some.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I tried a couple different crank/swimbaits last night.

Nothing.

Can anyone suggest like one or two exact lures to look for? I am headed to Discount Tackle in a couple of minutes and will look at some.
Quite a bit more info would be needed about where you plan to fish before a specific lure can be suggested. (Depth, water color, Your rod/reel setup, water temp, ect)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quite a bit more info would be needed about where you plan to fish before a specific lure can be suggested. (Depth, water color, Your rod/reel setup, water temp, ect)
Fenwick Eagle GT rod 6'6" Medium-Moderate
Shimano Symetre Reel (4500?)

Depth, water color, temp all vary. Holy **** this is complicated.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Fenwick Eagle GT rod 6'6" Medium-Moderate
Shimano Symetre Reel (4500?)

Depth, water color, temp all vary. Holy **** this is complicated.
Shad and bluegill for clear water, firetiger, clown for stained. Match the diving depth to the depth your fishing, rip it through the tops of weeds, load the rod, keep reeling and be ready for a strike when it breaks free. Get some squarebill cranks. Get some craw colored cranks. Bang them off rocks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shad and bluegill for clear water, firetiger, clown for stained. Match the diving depth to the depth your fishing, rip it through the tops of weeds, load the rod, keep reeling and be ready for a strike when it breaks free. Get some squarebill cranks. Get some craw colored cranks. Bang them off rocks.
What is a squarebill crank?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts