Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,172 Posts
PM sent. Keep in mind your line diameter as well. Need to get a foot deeper? Use 8#. Need a foot shallower use 12#. Etc. Most stated running depths are based on 10lb test. I'm pretty sure the Rapala stated depths are deeper than they actually run (based on trolling I'm guessing) Super Rogues run at their stated 4' where HJ10's say 8' max but it's more like 3-3.5' depending on line diameter. I usually carry a rod with 6# and a rod with 8# and if I hit rocks with the 6# I'll switch it over to the 8# rod. Natural colors work best although I cleaned house the other day with clown. At night, I think color gets bumped down the list of important factors to consider as opposed to day.

· Registered
3,172 Posts
Crankbaits require constant movement to provide action so technically a jerkbait and a swimbait are Crankbaits. Floating rapalas can be considered both a jerkbait and crankbait and also a third category of minnowbait. Lol! Its a confusing hot mess. For eyes, stick with suspending minnow-shaped jerkbait s. I have a bunch of xrap shallow shads but have yet to catch an eye on one but I know they work. I know guys who kill at Chatty with shad raps off a boat but they dive too deep for shore fishing. Caught a few eyes on smaller soft plastic swimbaits but they aren't as productive as the jerkbaits. Thats not to say they dont work...they do and the size tends to be better on the fish but if you are still struggling to get bit on a jerkbait, id hold off on the swimbaits. The smallies sure like them swimbaits tho.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.