Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,897 Posts
Some of my most favoritest baits for sure. Various sizes of lipless cranks will prolly catch just about anything that swims. If you got a bassy place without tons of weeds roll out there and throw some 3/8 or 1/2oz...even if there's some weeds it can work just not like surface mats of weeds or sth.

· Registered
3,897 Posts
First off, what is the difference between a crankbait, swimbait, jerkbait, etc... I bought one today I think is a jerkbait. I also bought one that I think is a swimbait. What tactics do I use? What colors and sizes should I buy?

The way I would define that would be;
1) A jerk bait is separated by it's ability to suspend. Where as a crank will normally either float up to the top, or sink down to the bottom when it's is not being retrieved. So by said criteria jerkbait's are crank bait's but not all crank bait's are jerk baits (if that makes sense). I would generalize a Crank bait as a sub-surface lure normally equipped with treble hooks which is imparted with action by either being retrieved or trolled through the water.
2) A swimbait could encompass an other wide verity of lures, really technically I believe a swimbait is a rubber bait, even in that category there's multiple verities. Then there are also "hard" swimbaits which may in fact technically be mag cranks. I guess it depends on the source of info. From my understanding the popularity of swimbaits stemmed from bass fishing on the west coast where bass angles knew certain fisheries held potentially world record bass. Stocked rainbow trout were the primary forage for such bass and thus the development of lures which matched that forage gained popularity. Swimbaits in this sense are very large lures (hard or soft) which tend to meticulously imitate trout. Whole lines of tackle, rods reels ex. are made specifically for fishing these types of lures which normally range from 2-8oz.

Well there's a little over view, if you're interested in swimbaits check out FishDr posts, that's pretty much all he fishes. Also look at swimbaits on tackle ware house, you will find some for hundreds of dollars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.