Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today sucked... finally got the boat patched yesterday and then got out on the water today. Tha lake was almost 1/4 iced over and then the rain started... filling the bottom of the raft.

Boy got soaked and cold and didn't want to fish much after that. He's not the toughest of guys when he gets cold... Nothing else really bothers him, but being wet and cold is NO BUENO.

This point where it gets shallow near the big channel is where I was planning to fish for perch. Lots of structure and cover there. It was iced over.

Did have one hit on the harness... It was threaded on the hook, had a nice take-down while trolling, didn't get the hookset. It almost jerked the crawler off the hook though.

We were rolling over what I thought was the main channel... Basic hard bottom, and then it got a little shallower and the bottom composition seemed to completely change. I was able to work from right to left and go between these two bottoms... I'm not adept enough at sonar yet to REALLY know what I was seeing... but it looked like we were marking fish RIGHT on the edge of what was a hard bottom turning into.... something else. Take a look, let me know what you guys think.

Anyway, it was a good day. Had a good time with the boy, but once he got wet and cold, it was lights out.

30 minutes inflating the raft, 10 minutes loading up the gear and setting up rigs, 30 minutes on the water (before the rain, wind, and cold) and then another 30 minutes breaking everything down and loading it all back up.

Not how I'd choose to spend the day, but an inconsolable 5 year old, soaked to the bone in 40 degree weather is a hard thing to argue with. :)

For the boy, Spring couldn't come soon enough.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reading, Bionic.

Any thoughts on the bottoms in those pix?

Were those fish in that one pic or just some kind of junk on the screen/logs/something else?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Ya, not looking like fish to me... Me a little brush and bs on the bottom
Ice on the edges in TN=super tough fishing, was worse than here I would think

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks andy and Boon... I was hoping someone could let me know on that structure/fish deal.

What about the difference in bottoms between pic #1 and #2? Obviously the first pic is a good clean hard bottom, but what the hell is the second pic? Tons of brush or just muddy murk.... Maybe the remains of the Summer lilly pads? I have no idea... Like I said, I'm not the best at reading sonar yet.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
1st is stumps, second is weeds. I see the same crap on my Lowrance-

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Cold and wet sucks!! Just cold is tolerable but once wet........ I'm done!!

At least you should be getting the setup/take down part dialed in right? LOL

Keep it up.... the fish will come!

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
You need a cheap ass little trailer to haul that raft around- be SOOO much easier-

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx guys.

Yea it would be easier, but it also costs money. I'm trying to spend as little on fishing as possible until boat-time... Its gonna be a G for the boat, another couple C notes for batteries, then I gotta spend money on making my live well and sh**.

Not gonna be pretty on the home front if I start buying trailers and **** for the I.F.V.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts