Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out today, managed to catch 4 fish behind the same big rock in the first 10 minutes, then a 13" brown a but further upstream but also broke my rod, lost 6 flies, hoplessly tangled 2 leaders and lost my last strike indicator. all in all the day cost me a lot of $$$, boo!

F

·
0 Posts
rough day but we have all had them .....i remeber last year i went up to estes park for the day and brought two leaders with me dont ask me how but getting them out of the package i tangled them so bad i ended up spin fishing all day cause i ruined both my leaders ...im sure it was my fault but so i dont hurt my ego to bad ill never buy sportsmans warehouse leaders again

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
What brand is your fly pole, I broke mine too when I was up in Gunnison. But the company has what appears to be a good warranty and will replace it. Hopefully.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
well atleast you were fishing, its not like sitting in traffic getting a flat being late to work getting your #ss chewed buy the boss and then on your way out you discover your car was broken into and all your fishing gear that you were going to use on the way home to relax is all gone. better luck next time

·
Registered
163 Posts
Farmer Ted: Sorry to hear about that. Care to tell us how you broke your rod, so we can be careful and not break our rods?

FishingGuitars: A fly fishing guide showed me how to not screw up the leaders when taking them out of the package. Immediately after taking it out, stick three fingers from your left hand (assuming you're right handed) into the center of the "spool". With your other hand, untwist and unroll the leader without removing your fingers from the middle. I'm not sure how well that works (seems a little anal to me), but I haven't had a bad day fishing like that yet.

ken: there must be something wrong with the forums. it appears that all the capital letters are all used up and people must make due with only lower case letters. strange. :)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
NOPE plenty of caps here i just care more about fishing than english... LOL

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I broke the rod trying to untangle a mess from the tip...I had it bent so I could work on it and somehow stressed it too far and it snapped right where the 2 sections meet. it is a cortland GRX rod, not real expensive but i like it. I called them to see if I could just buy the top section so we'll see what happens. I have never broken a rod in 20 years of spinfishing but now i can say I've broken a fly rod.

i used to have problems with leaders tangling out of the package as well. I found that if you carefully unwrap the thick end right away after you take it out, it seems to work good. the thick (loop) end is just wrapped around the rest of the leader 4 or 5 times on the leaders i use (RIO) and once this is done it will just open up.

roadkill wins for the crap day award, i don't feel so bad now. and i do have a backup fly rod to use so it's not so bad.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
you still win mine was hypothetical sorry for the confusion

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
farmer ted said:
I broke the rod trying to untangle a mess from the tip...I had it bent so I could work on it and somehow stressed it too far and it snapped right where the 2 sections meet. it is a cortland GRX rod, not real expensive but i like it. I called them to see if I could just buy the top section so we'll see what happens. I have never broken a rod in 20 years of spinfishing but now i can say I've broken a fly rod.
http://www.cortlandline.com/warranty.php
Warranty Information-

We are proud of our workmanship and stand behind our products. Should any problem arise with one of our items, simply return it for immediate repair or replacements. Damaged rods and reels not covered under this warranty will be repaired or replaced for a reasonable fee. For repair or replacement, please return the entire rod or reel, including any broken pieces. Be sure to include a note with your name, address and phone number and $15.00 for domestic S&H. If outside the U.S. please remit $40.00 for S&H.
.Ship the contents to:

Cortland Line Company
3736 Kellogg Road
Cortland, NY 13045
ATTENTION: ROD AND REEL REPAIR DEPT.
Email - [email protected]
or Call Us at our Rod and Reel Department
(607)756-2851 ext 153
Well what you know thats the same company that makes the rod I broke.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
looks like you might luck out shure hope you do good luck with the warranty

N

·
0 Posts
Don't you just love those days? Where normally the laws of physics would negate the possibilty of the knot you are looking at actually happening. We all have them brother, and I think it helps us grow as anglers. Even the best are not exempt from those great days. But point blank, I would rather be tied up to hells end on a willow then being stuck somewhere else, like work. Brush it off, tack it up as one of those days. At least you caught a few. Seriously, I feel ya man, and not enough people talk about thier bad days on the river, I think more should.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
fishbum said:
But you caught fish. That is all that matters. Hopefully, you had a pretty girl and a beer to come home to.
Of course not. He went fishing, didn't he? :D

F

·
0 Posts
I forgot about the rod I broke earlier this year I bought a really cheap scientific anglers fly rod for my wife to use ....she lost intrest in about 10 mins so I started playing around with it and for some reason I could cast better with it then the drake I have ...so I used it for probably 2 months caught some nice fish on it ...then one day on the big thompson same thing there was a tangle on the rod tip i untangled my flyline then I pulled some line out to cast and the tip just broke off .....Thats why next time I gonna spend a few bucks and get a nice one ....I wouldnt fish with a zebo 303 anymore so I guess its time to upgrade my fly fishing stuff too..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hey Walking Eagle - there's a picture of some guy in the last F&H news that looks like you - is it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
farmer ted, I have had great luck with cortland warranty, my girlfriend was using mine, and some how managed to slam it in the door of my truck, all i paid was the shipping, and they replaced the rod- including a new sock. as far as the girlfriend, I think there was someunderlying reason for breaking my rod, at least my fly rod was the only thing to get slammed in a door!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
_colorado said:
Hey Walking Eagle - there's a picture of some guy in the last F&H news that looks like you - is it?
What?? Someone is impersonating me?? No, it wasn't me, but I better take a look. It might be lawsuit time. It is illegal to impersonate a world-class genius, isn't it?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yeah you better hang low that guy in the mag might come after you..j/k

1 - 19 of 19 Posts