Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum. I am new to Colorado and I am currently living north west of Denver in the Broomfield area and I am looking for some good places to go fishing.

Does anyone have any tips where I can get some good Crappie fishing in? I have a 6 year old that wants to get out and catch some fish so anything that bites is good exposure for him to get into fishing...but I am kind of a big guy and love some fried Crappie!!!

Any tips, pointers, locations, or just fishing Colorado in general will be greatly appreciated! I am looking forward to becoming a part of y'alls forum!

Ross

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
good luck. I would just try various areas. Boulder County has great fishing. People on here have lockjaw when it comes to crappie spots. and for good reason.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
A good place to start would be this book:

You can purchase it online, or maybe even check it out at your local library.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Try inlets at high flows, holes and dropoffs in still water. Look up the dropshot rig and make it your friend. Fathead minnows a foot off the bottom are money.

Slip bobber and crappie jig tipped with something squirmy close to the bottom in Summer can work too.

In Texas, we caught em year round with a little yellow and white crappie jig with a 1/8 oz jighead, vertically jigging off docks with structure.

Don't know how much any of that helps, but good luck out there.

The "search" function on this site is awesome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great!!! Thank you all for the information...I will give it a go and let y'all know how we do!!!

Haha mattyt...I know all about how the lockjaw works when it comes to a honey hole!!! I can't say I blame people, I might be inclined to be the same way.

I will definitely be looking that book up rvinson!

Opry99er, the drop shot rig...that is kind of like the Eagle Claw Crappie rig, but with only one hook right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good read Owen...those are some nice crappie!!! Sooooooo, round about where was that some unassuming pond in the metro area?!? j/k...I'll find one if I look hard enough!

Off to buy some tackle!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
dropshot rig has a weight at the end of the line. You place a hook up the line as far off the bottom as you choose... I find 6-8 inches is good on hook #1. I sometimes run a second hook 6-8 inches up from the first hook. You can use a hook link (short 1-2 inch leader) off the main line OR tie directly to the line. Small 3 way swivels are great if you choose to use hook links.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
If you knpw how to search DPR and CPW for pond stocking reports, you can find where crappie are consistently stocked.

That's how I found that spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts