Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Crappie Slayin - We Both Caught Limit!

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Blue cat mike 
#1 · (Edited)
Always wanted to figure the crappie and once I actually set out to do it I found hundreds! Limited out for the first time after trying for the whole month of June. Wasn't too hard once i honed in on the area where I located them. Fast forward 4 days later and today they were gone. Here is my video of the slay fest. :D

See less See more
1 1
#8 ·
Nice video and what a good mess of fish to eat, congrats. Just a little information for you, to ponder. You can't tell the type of crappie by color alone as the male white crappie turn black during the spawn. White crappie have a vertical stripe pattern and have up to 6 spines on the dorsal fin, blacks have 7 or 8 spines. It doesn't really matter as both are delicious. It looks like the ones above are whites, especially the top row where the bars are more visible.

#9 ·
leg,

Thank you for that great explanation! In the heat of the moment I mess up the white from the black crappies. I've read how to identify them in the past but it's been a while. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.