Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheres you favorite place to go chase decent sized spring time crappies? My old stand bys are no longer as productive as they used to be (North Teller lakes in Boulder County and Union Reservoir in Longmont) If you dont want to share thats OK, but at least point to a good region in Colorado to search, im itchin for springtime fishing ;)

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Ive caught some pretty nice ones out at CherryCreek. Got this one early last March.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
117 Posts
I remember a couple years back Blue Lake near NeGranda, NeNoshe was very productive for Crappies off the boat. I say thats was one of the best Crappie action ive ever had. NeGranda and NeNoshe wasnt all so bad either did pretty good there late April early May.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Rottal said:
Nice one...now thats what im lookin for ;)

Were you targeting crappies that day?
Not really. I marked a hugh school of fish off the S point. Got it on a minnow about 15ft down in 18ft of water if I remember correctly.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool...ill remember that. ive heard of decent crappies coming out of there, but have only fished Cherry Creek once...and got skunked. I was with Ken though in his bad luck boat (the one he has for sale) so i cant really make a judgement off that ;)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have caught some decent crappie at Pella in Longmont. Boulder county did some structure projects out there about 5 years ago just for the pan fish.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
if ur looking for size i would try boyd and largerman i;ve caught huge crappie there if ur looking for numbers i would try brighton city pond i catch like 30 of them eveytime barbour ponds have alot to i;ve had good luck in the back pond when the waters coming in pella crossing is good to and bonny

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Rottal if you want to make a trip, Cedar Bluffs is loaded with big crappies. I could not keep them off my bass lures the last two years.

·
Registered
127 Posts
union res is getting tough to pick up crappi thought the size limit there would help for bigger fish but all I catch anymore is 8incers. have done ok at boyd but it is hit or miss. my vote goes to truman lake in Mo. cought some last year that a bud bottle would fit into ones mouth

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
McFish said:
Rottal if you want to make a trip, Cedar Bluffs is loaded with big crappies.  I could not keep them off my bass lures the last two years.
where is cedar bluffs? almost sounds like Iowa

·
P I K E
10,082 Posts
   Hi guys...Cedar Bluffs is in Kansas about 100 miles into the state right off I-70 south of a town called WaKeeney.
There are also nice bass in there . Its a nice drive plus Kansas licences are cheaper than here,at least they were the last time I was out there,we just bought an out of state annual. Hope this helps...have fun.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I know very few of you care probably, but crawford reservoir is great for plenty of nice sized black crappie.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
well for most of you guys crawford is a drive and a half. I know rottal meant close to his home in longmont, I just thought I'd tell you guys the best crappie fishery on the west slope.

M

·
0 Posts
This is good to know. I've taken my Dad to Blue Mesa a few times (he lives in Arizona) and he loves to panfish. Maybe next time, we'll swing over to Crawford for a couple of days.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
in that case harvey gap and rio blanco both have STRONG populations of decent crappie- nowhere near the slabs of crawford but a good bunch of 6-10" crappie isn't too bad. Highline has some monsters but the water temperature and clarity varies from year to year in the spring so before any of ya pack it to highline give me a pm.

Mr ed,
Crawford has a bunch of yellow perch too, they were tough this ice season but in 04-05 I caught a bunch of em, and some surprisingly big ones at that. They are very easy to catch during open water.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Nee Noshe has been reduced to a small pond. About 4 years ago I caught about 30 crappie and my stringer looked like somehting out of a crappie fishing magazine. Since then Nee Noshe has gone down hill. Your best bet is John Martin or Nee Gronde

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cedar Bluff is way down. I drove by the lake yesterday. I was also told by people in the area that fishing this late winter for crappie never materialized. This might be because of the warm winter, the low water level, or a combination of both. Usually in February and March, the crappie congregate in the cove by the spillway. I went to school in Hays, KS and grew up in western KS. In the last 8 years there have been days where we could pull 350 crappie out of that cove in four hours, but I haven't fished it in two years now. The white bass and wiper fishing off the damn in late spring is phenominal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts