Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why there isn't much crappie fishing in Colorado? Ask any angler what their favorite eating fish is and the answer will probably be walleye or crappie. I would be much happier if DOW emphasized crappie as a put and take species, rather than trout. I really don't care for catching stocker trout and don't care for eating any trout.

I live near the South Platte ponds, which are sick with undersized and over fished bass. What would it take to have DOW put more effort into getting more crappie into our local ponds and lakes?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
lgombos said:
I would be much happier if DOW emphasized crappie as a put and take species, rather than trout.
Ive said this a million times. Trout=Money. Most people in this state buy a fishing license to go fish for trout. Most people dont take their kids out to go pike fishing, they take them trout fishing.

Again, Trout=Money.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree with you lgombos. I love catching crappie. And sometimes, crappie are easier to catch then trout and usually put up a good scrappy fight.

Trout may equal money, but i think i'd take my kid out to catch a mess of gills or crappie over trout.

I do like catching trout though. I really think the main problem is that you can pretty much stock a trout anywhere in this state. A crappie has to be in selected locations.

I really dont know...

·
Registered
902 Posts
No doubt which is more fun to catch and fish for, but i think trout are wicked cheap and easy to farm. They can raise them to catchable size real easy and release a fish that any joe-shmoe can catch. just my 2 cents-  :p

M

·
0 Posts
I think priorities have also shifted because of the drought. A lot of lakes were down for a long time leaving no shoreline structure that the crappie find refuge in. Without that habitat, the crappie tend to disappear. I say give it a couple more years - with vegetation growing while waters are down, then the lakes filling again, the habitat to support the fish will be there and I'm sure crappie will both be stocked, and begin to reproduce again. Horsetooth will be one to watch this year and next and I hope Chatfield will improve once they raise the water level over the next couple of years - that inlet area could be awesome for panfish and bass!

The news has a great article about Bonny that talks a little about the concept.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/recreation_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_85_4666486,00.html

D

·
0 Posts
Mr. Ed said:
I hope Chatfield will improve once they raise the water level over the next couple of years - that inlet area could be awesome for panfish and bass!
Back 25 or so years ago Chatfield had some great crappie fishing. Although they were never great big, you could throw a jig up against the tower and catch a boatload of eater size. I think I heard that they determined the water was too cold on average to sustain the population long term. With all the shad now in that lake I wonder if CDOW will make another run at establishing a viable crappie fishery there.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
One of the best places Ive ever fished for crappie is good ol' cherry creek. Ive had 60 fish night there for them. And pretty good size too. This was about 5 years ago and with the way people 'harvest' fish these days im not sure how it is now. I plan on going after them this year and will post a report if there is anything to report :)

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great insight, guys. I may send a letter to DOW asking them to stock more crappie. I'm not too optimistic, though after hearing some of your responses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts