Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a spot to skate some dries last night, while letting traffic die. Saw another guy rigging a Tenkara as I was headed down the path.
He was nice enough to walk with me and give me the breakdown on what specs are in the tiny impoundment, and where they usually hold.
Watched him land a few across the bank from me for a while, waved good by and thanked him, and I proceeded to land a couple decent sized black crappie on a haggard #14 foam beetle with two legs.
They were a decent fight on the 6wt.

Anyway, just want to chat about this species and fly selection. There are also some real nice carp cruising and finning in this place.

Seemed all of my hits came when the sun was behind the clouds, around 630-7 o'clock.
Hot outside. And almost zero retrieve.
The guy on the tenkara guy looked like he was using a cane pole if I didnt know any better. So I followed suit, instead of stripping it in, and started getting strikes.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I believe what the other fellow was doing was "dapping". The Brits are good at this and it has been a popular technique with the long tenkara rods.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Given where they like to hang out, I'm surprised that a dry never once occurred to me. I only tried for crappie once(just a few weeks ago) at Brush Hollow. I was using a fly called crappie candy. Kinda reminds me of a small Clowser minnow. I'll bet ant patterns as well as your beetle type dries would work great if you cast them right into the cover's shadow.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ft Collins has some good crappie. They're in every pond over there. The populations seemed extremely dynamic as they would get over fished. I used white/grey micro bunny strip "minnows" no bigger than 2" with a Fl. green/pink thread head and a couple of strands of pearl flash or a braided pearl body(forgot flys name), add split as needed and sometimes an indicator for suspension when real slow isn't slow enough. Retrieve could change daily. Usually it was just a slow roll in the hand. 15-16" crappie are not common but can be found where rough banks and/or thick vegetation deter bucketeers. Overhanging trees, especially Russian Olives, where there is shade, otherwise they'll suspend in deeper water. Brush piles, stumps, dead trees, culvert pipes, concrete rip rap shores...just about anywhere. I preferred south or west shores. When I didn't feel like driving, warm water belly boating was the next option and the Ft. has a ton of lakes and ponds.

As for carp, I enjoy throwing a fly to freshwater bonefish. They can be some of the hardest spookiest finickiest targets in the shallows. I've hooked Commons on a plethora of different flies. On the West slope carp ponds are few but you have them to yourself. My go to fly for surface suckers is just a white deer spun blob but slowly dragging a small crayfish pattern is hard to beat for numbers.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
These are on the list for this season. I have never caught one on the fly so I am excited about this thread. Going to try the get out tomorrow and get some crappie.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Curtis used to use a 3 wet fly setup in Minnesota to catch them 3 at a time...the gaudier the better it seemed...

·
Registered
676 Posts
I use crazy charlies and gotchas for crappie. I've caught them on pretty much everything though. Standard clousers and bellyache minnows are fine. Damsel fly nymphs are good.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have had success with Simi seal leeches up against cover on the banks or structure out in open water. Usually I am trying to target white bass as well so my retrieve is fast, irratic strips.

I was fishing with a marabou jig this weekend and seemed to catch the attention of the crappie as well.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I first read about "dapping" in a book written by Gary LaFontaine. The book, "Fly Fishing the Mountain Lakes" covers dapping and other techniques while being a good read about his experinces. Gary was a well known flyfishing expert, and had written multiple books that are highly recommended.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dapping is something I'm going to explore. Was listening to a podcast this weekend about using this technique for carp. First Im going to need to up my leader/tippet game. My 6wt might be heavy enough, but not a 9' 6x leader.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Dapping is something I'm going to explore. Was listening to a podcast this weekend about using this technique for carp. First Im going to need to up my leader/tippet game. My 6wt might be heavy enough, but not a 9' 6x leader.
One thing I've learned when fishing in warm water is "heavy" can rapidly turn into not heavy enough. I guess if you don't mind breaking off that possible giant grass carp, 10lb bass, 16" crappie, 20" small mouth, +30" channel cat....You never know what you will hook into when fishing those diverse backwaters of little ponds and lakes. 6x, then throw in the submerged structure- timber, weeds, concrete w/ rebar, etc. and it amounts to heartbreak. I don't care about losing fish but the ones I never even see....that gives me the rock in the stomach.

I landed a snapping turtle once on an 8wt after it hit my streamer. I didn't "hook" it, it just didn't let go until I netted it. It was about 15" in diameter and I was HAPPY it wasn't hooked. One of the three best fighting non-fish species I've caught on a fly!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Got my first crappie a few weeks ago. Did well with poppers, but the biggest hit a North Platte Special streamer... Everywhere I go that simple feather wing streamer catches fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts