Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Bonny Reservoir this week and like to know the best way to rig a crawdad tail for the Wipers and White bass. Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
if you have two poles you can rig one like the pic jay put up

the second pole rig the same but if you have some little foam floats put one on about 2-3" in front of the bait to get it a little off of the bottom

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
well i use the round cork ones when fishing for cats

and i use the red and white floats when going after wiper

·
Registered
265 Posts
So do you guys buy the crawdad tails? Put out a trap with a little moist meal catfood and catch them yourself??

How do you prepare and rig them? Do you just pull the tail right off and put it on the hook, or do you pick the tail shell off first?

Just curious, I've only fished with whole, live crawdads before, not just the tails...

Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
314 Posts
I haven't had time to catch them myself, so I bought a dozen large feisty craws from Bill's Bait on 60th and washington. Broke the tail off and peeled the shell.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The white bass are picky eaters, but it seems they don't mind too much at Bonny. They usually only eat the tail (everything peeled off of the meat). For the wipers, I use the whole thing, (cut off the legs with scissors, then peel off the shells). Hook the tail part first all the way up to the legs and that should stay on pretty good!! Chug it out there as far as you can....
Good Luck Buddy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts