Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all this is my first post on this site after being a long time lurker and learner. What an informative site this is and threr seems to be a bunch of great people sharing information!!

I am curious about this Wiper/ CT combo. Do you use the whole crawdad tail in the shell when rigging for wiper or just the meat? Do you fish it on the bottom Lindy rigged or something along the same line?
I have heard great things about this combo and wanted to give it a try. It'll probably catch cats too wouldn't it?

Thanks guys AND gals ;)

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
First let me welcome you to the site.

Im not sure. I do know the way we did it once was to take the meat out of the tail and hook it that way.

-Jay

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Just use the tail but peel off the sheel. Just the fresh meat, use one thats still alive. You can catch all kinds of fish this way, yea cats love it too. Just toss it out on the bottom, or slowly drag it on the bottom. When they see it they will knock fire out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I have.... From boat. It works, but I'm not sure if that's what made the difference. Great way to add confidence though!

·
Registered
636 Posts
welcome to the forum jigginpig. i always peel off the shell and add some crawler on the hook. I have never caught a wiper this way yet but have caught some cats. I've only done it about three times though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys.

It's seems tricky getting that little piece of meat out of the shell and threading a hook with it so that it stays. Maybe a jig and some tail meat i the way to go..??

Have any of you had success with the tails or is there some other method I should be looking at to catch wipers this time of year? I have caught a fair share in my day on various lures, but wanted to add something else to the arsenal since I heard that the wiper love the crawdad tails. It really never even dawned on me to fish for a hybrid bass like a catfish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts