Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love a good crawfish boil, and I have usually had great luck getting all the crawdads I want out at Aurora Reservoir. ARE THERE MANY CRAWDADS IN CHATFIELD? IF SO, WHERE MIGHT I FIND THEM? Let me know if you run into these little bait steelers at Chatfield, and I will go help the problem ) I thought Chatfield would be fun to try, because I know crawfish are more active at night, but Aurora prohibits night fishing.

Hand-lining for crawdads can make for a fun (and tasty) solution to a slow day of fishing!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know there are some in the gravels ponds, but not tons. There must be some in Chatfield proper but I couldn't tell you the best spot for them.

I can say there are tons of them in Cherry Ck Res (or there were a few years back). I found lots on the sandy bottom area just next to the boat ramp.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Head further south of the gravel ponds to the two ponds by the Waterton Canyon entrance off Waterton Canyon Rd. They're absolutely everywhere there... all shapes n sizes. You'd be doing me a favor! Haha

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would seriously try the outlet channel where the Platte re-starts just east of the dam. I would try the back-eddy areas right next to the concrete walls that straddle the outlet channel.

Good luck ... and YUM!

Mac

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
when i was a kid we used to get them on the east shorline by the platte inlet near were the great blue herron nests were. Good times, we used to get real drunk and boil em on the shore in a coffe can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are quite a few all over the reservoir pretty close to shore in the rocky areas. Just turn over some rocks or reach your underneath and let them grab hold of your finger. When we bait-fish Chatfield, which is rarely these days, we usually spend our "fishing" time catching crawdads until a fish bites.

We've caught enough for a small crawdad boil, but for some reason they didn't taste as good as crawdads I've had from the south.

·
Registered
769 Posts
longdraw said:
Check around the N boat ramp. I have seen a lot of folks catching them there at nite.
X2......
Have seen folks with buckets of crawdads at the N boat ramp cove. Can use traps there. Aurora
prohibits the use of traps but they can be caught using a baited line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts