Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you buy your crawdads or catch them? I catch them but most are really undersized for my needs. Boyd has some biggunsm but I need large supplies. What do you do?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am located in LaSalle just south of Greeley but am willing to travel there if they are big and very populated.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
My son lives N. of Ft. Collins and there is one of those irrigation ditches or canals that runs within walking distance from his place. He said there were a lot of crawdads in it, and he and his kid went out and caught a bunch by hand and brought them along the next time we went fishing. But they couldn't catch the really big ones by hand, they were too fast.

So I bought a crawdad trap and gave it to him. He set it in the ditch with a can of cat food punched full of holes in it for bait. The next morning there were 100 big crawdads in it. It was packed so full no more could get in. Big ones, too, None of those little 3 inchers. The next morning he had 100 more.

Now he keeps bringing me crawdads and I think I have created a monster, I am drowning in crawdads and no way to use them all. He tried to sell some to JAX and they said no way, the regulations are too tight, you have to have a commercial bait dealer's license.

I have been using them for catfish, but I get more humongous carp than catfish. They slurp up big whole crawdads with no trouble at all.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use small crawdads for carp along with my special corn and special dough. I do relly good on them but they can't be more than 3" long.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Walking Eagle- If you don't mind me asking.

What kind/brand of trap did you buy? I have th Frabill Cone shaped one and have not caught any crawdads with it.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try the standard box shaped mesh ones. They do good for me.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
tbmanivong said:
Walking Eagle- If you don't mind me asking.

What kind/brand of trap did you buy? I have th Frabill Cone shaped one and have not caught any crawdads with it.
Same as what catmann29 said.

I got the Frabill rectangular box type and it works great. Of course you have to make sure the entrance is pointing downstream because the dads will travel upstream to get into it. For bait lots of things will work, but the most convenient is just get one of those flat, round 5.5 oz. cans of cat food (easy for me, my wife has a cat) and punch some holes in it. It lasts a long time because the crawdads can't get it out of the can.

I can't think of any reason why your cone type shouldn't work, though. That is, if you put it in someplace where there actually are crawdads... ;)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If i need some crawdads I just take the kid fishing and have him catch me some at the local ponds... Pikeview for the smaller ones and Quail lake for the large ones (I had one draw blood at quail lake he was huge). I was going to invest in a trap but havent got around to it, pretty low on the priorities. Here is a pic of one from quail lake:

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
Hey. I hope that cardinal on the cap isn't what I think it is.  :mad:
Haha... Dirty old guys are funny... Thats his baseball team!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
aurora reservoir has huge crawdads and huge cats, saw a guy catch a 25 pound cat on the south side of the lake. the crawdads are back in the inlet. one time when trolling for walleye i hooked a crawdad in deep water that looked like a lobster. On your corn carp bait recipe is it supposed to solidify into a gob, or does the corn stay loose and get threaded on the hook individually??

·
Registered
360 Posts
You can buy nice sized crawdads at alot of the asian markets. We usually stop by one off of federal and alameda they are reasonably priced most of the time and sometimes you can haggle with them! When I need a quick crawdad fix this is where I go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts