Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
It is not legal to trap crawdads at Aurora or most other metro area lakes but you can use and fishing pole and some kind of bait. Look at the fishing regs, it's hidden in there. You can use a trap at someother lakes like steamboat if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done various search in the Colorado 2006 Fishing Regulations and I can't find that sections that states you can't. Maybe I'm just blind but if anyone finds the page that states you can't please let me know.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Buy some chicken thighs, poke a whole in the middle of them, tie some clothes line around it and toss it out.  Experiement with how long to leave it out there.  Ussually only 5or 10 mins, pull the line in very very slowly, then scoop the chicken and attach crawdads up with a net.  I have filled buckets this way back east.  Oh, and season or let rot the chicken so it gives a sent.  Check reg but I also saw an asian family with a huge cooler full doing it a similare way at the South Platte Ponds.  

:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pescando, I can't find where trapping crawdads at Aurora is prohibited in the 06 regs either. Back in 03 or 04 when I bought a trap, tried to use it there, was told I couldn't then went home and looked it up I DID find it in the regs. What's up?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
when you use Crawdads for bait, how do you hook them? Will Walleyes eat them? Sorry for being ignorant, but I've never tried.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
hook them under where their head meets their thorax with a hook. Walleyes will eat crawdads. Walleyes at juniata almost always have crawdads in their stomachs when I clean them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
FF
I always rip off there tail smash it alittle and use it . I have had good luck with it this way for cats at CC I have never tried them whole but I will try tonight. Thanks Trout Fishing Bear for the advice.

M

·
0 Posts
Herb said:
Pescando, I can't find where trapping crawdads at Aurora is prohibited in the 06 regs either. Back in 03 or 04 when I bought a trap, tried to use it there, was told I couldn't then went home and looked it up I DID find it in the regs. What's up?
Herb, the folks at Aurora like to hide behind DOW regulations even though they are a private lake (owned by the city of Aurora). They tend to adapt THEIR INTERPRETATION of the DOW regulations then when you ask them, they blame it on the DOW. Here is a link to the Aurora Regulations...

http://www.auroragov.org/stellent/groups/public/documents/article-publication/008956.pdf

If you look at #75, you'll see that you can't have a "fish retaining device" which means you can't trap crawfish or minnows and you can't use a basket (only a stringer) if you're keeping fish.

·
Registered
51 Posts
75. Fish Retaining Devices. Nets, seines, traps, pots or other retaining devices which obstruct the free passage of fish, crustaceans (crayfish, crawdads) and amphibia (frogs, salamanders), are prohibited, unless authorized in writing by the Director of Parks and Open Space. This prohibition applies to but is not limited to bait fish (minnows, bluegill, carp, sunfish, hybrid sunfish, shad, sculpin, suckers, and spottail shiners).
From the AR regs

·
Registered
431 Posts
When I was last fishing at Aurora a few weeks ago I asked one of the rangers and he said it was legal and pretty excited I asked about it. Wierd he acted that way but hay he said it was cool.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wierd,
I was out at aurora in april, and my buddy's kid had 2 crawdads in a bucket, and the ranger told us we could not have them, and we needed a licence.
He was cool though, and said the kid could take em home.

With all this contradicting info, what can we do?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was out at aurora and with my traps and when the ranger spied them in my boat he just let me know I could not use them. He said they had people coming in and harvesting them as if for commercial purposes so they are now enforcing the no basket rule. He said to catch as many as I wanted by bait and line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was out at aurora last night and caught some nice size crawdads. Per the ranger the checked my license, no traps, nets or cages can be used to take caryfish at aurora. My kids did just great with a bait and line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts