Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
*Hine Lake: West Coal Mine Ave., right on Van Gordon Wy. Accessible fishing pier. Foothills Parks and Recreation, (303) 987-2673.

·
Registered
636 Posts
my buddy catches a crap load out of a canal by throwing liver in a trap. In a week the trap was jammed packed with them. I usually just go to Cherry Creek and work my way across the Dam and turn over Rocks near the water. They are everywhere!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Putting dog food in a trap is the best way to catch them. Other baits like chicken liver, fish parts, and fried chicken all work just as well. For you west slopers, particularly grand junction area people, juniata reservoir has a $hitload at the dam. The colorado river all through town also has a good amount too, particularly around riverside.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
1eyeReD said:
Boomer said:
I have seen hundreds crawling around the inlet at Hine Lake last year I filled a plastic grocery sack full of them This places has lots of crawdads!
Where's Hine Lake?
Hine Lake is on in a park.  The easiest way to find it is on West Coal Mine just west of Sims.  Here is a mapquest page for it.  There is parking just of S Vivian St or there is an entrance and parking to the park just off Coal Mine.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...3DUW52T5u0ybNMlDMHVa9yaKaITjm6rbGooipnkrOIg==

Dan

·
Registered
60 Posts
JohnnyO19 said:
Is there a special net or trap that you guys use?
I made a trap for them out of left over wire (kinda like chicken wire but with smaller spaces) just make a cylinder and secure it and make two sort of funnel shapes out of more chicken wire and have the funnels go in on both ends, where it looks like > < inside the cylinder, just make it easy to open and shut back up, you have to let it sit someplace for a while tho. If you want them quickly my friends have had more luck just using string and some ck liver, or getting that same type of wire, mesh whatever it's called and tying the liver ON it and placing it in the water and basically hoisting it up when you get enough of them on there. That method sounds like it'd be a bit tedious and boring tho. Good luck

·
Registered
405 Posts
The biggest dads I've seen come out of Aurora Res. I swear they border line mutant. You can drop a trap anywhere near reeds in Aurora Res to catch them.

King Fisher pond at Chatfield also has a ton of dads off the gravel bar on the west end. You can drop a trap there and check on it periodicly to catch your fill. I like the trap over every other method, becasue you can drop it and forget it, do some fishing and come back to it later.

I've seen the traps at Sportsman's Paridise in Aurora, and I'm sure Gander has them as well (Don?). I don't think they cost any more than fifteen bucks. I usually bait it with either bacon or a hot dog; any oily meat will draw them in.

There are definately no shortages of dads in the metro area.

Pete

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.