Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying around with the idea of trapping bait. Does anyone have any trap recommendations or opinion about trapping?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i picked up one of the tube/cone bait traps last fall but havent had the chance to use it yet. i plan on using it next weekend.

i have head that cracking open a can of tuna or cat food (leaving lid on) and droping that in the trap works good

someone here posted a stick of gum also works?

M

·
0 Posts
I've got two of the square traps but haven't used them since I switched from a conservation certificate to the new licensing system.

You're buoy (or float/marker/jug/etc.) that floats on the surface has to be labeled with your CID (been too lazy to change the writing on mine) as well as your name and address. I think you may even have to have your phone number but can't remember.

When I was using the trap it worked really well. Hunk of meat (chicken, bacon, dog food, cat food, etc.) worked well. There are some big crawdads out there in the cold water lakes and they are tasty if you're interested in a crawfish boil. The fresh crawfish work well for bait as well.

Have fun!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
roadkill said:
i have head that cracking open a can of tuna or cat food (leaving lid on) and droping that in the trap works good
For crawdads, just take one of those flat round cans of cat food and punch it full of holes without opening the can, and drop it in the trap. The cat food stays in the can but the flavor gets out, and your trap will fill up with more crawdads than you can count.

If there is any current where you place the trap, make sure the opening of the trap faces downstream. That way the dads will follow the scent upstream and will go right into the entrance hole.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I was a kid a had a galvanized funnel trap with a hinge, it worked great. I would use any piece of fresh meat or go to the meat market an buy $1 of beef liver. The trap was stolen many years ago. This spring I purchased a new funnel trap from Bass Pro for about $10. The trap brakes in half and can be staked (great space saver) however it is made of steel and coated with plastic. The plastic has already chipped, in places, and I have not used it once.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had one of the metal ones thats coated with the plastic. I used it several times and never pulled in a crawfish with it. I made a larger one out of some galvinized mesh from Lowes last year that I hope to try out this year. If it works out I will post up but if not I will keep to myself. ;)

Eleven Mile is awsome for crawfish. You can fill up a five gallon bucket in a night just picking them up with your hands.

I love eaten crawfish, poor mans shrimp is what I call'em.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a large cage crate(14''x20''x6") that I modified with inlet holes all over it. I tie mainly chicken liver ( let it set out for 2-3 days just long enough to where I can't stand the smell in my back yard or the neighbors start complaning) in fine netting or cheese cloth to the bottom of the cage. Let it sit for 5-15 min. I do great with this method at Cherry Creek off the damn.
It usually takes me a couple hours before I have a 5 gal. bucket full of the little buggers to take home to boil up. I have also done great catching catfish with there tails.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use the flat square net that looks like a umberala,tied by a small rope.to a good size branch.Two of these with chicken necks tied to frame will really get you a bunch of crawdads in a hurry.The flat surface of the net gives them great access.
I doubt if this would work in any amount of current.I always caught them in lakes or ponds.
Another way is to encase a chicken neck in a ball of monofilement( about the size of a soft ball) keep the line loose and secure with a heavy pull line and the crawdads get to holding on the line and entagled in all the loose loops are easily caught.A good way to reuse the line we all discard.I bet the cat food can would really work on this.This is a good example why we should discard our used line in a proper place.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I went to the hardware store and bought some galvanized rabbit wire and buiilt six traps. Each trap is 24 inches long and 10 inches square, I put a ramp on both open ends so there are two openings for the dads to get in. I cut a square hole in one side to bait and empty the traps and hinged the piece I cut out to make a door. they work GREAT! I bait them with the cheap chicken wings from Wal-mart but I plan on trying the catfood method next time out. PM me if you want a pic or more infor on building them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are there also crawfish in mountain lakes like Barker and Gross? Also, what kind of license do you need and how do you get one?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I use the same trap BOJON123 mentioned.

Looks like this

But it will only work if your standing on a bridge or on top of the water like this

Than just drop it straight down

Wait couple mins and pull straight up some times u catch a bunch this time was only 1

End Result

All the hard work pays off at the end

M

·
0 Posts
HookNLine - know of any place around town that sells that type of setup? Would be interested!

Looks like a crabbing setup that I haven't seen except on the coasts.

Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts