Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any information on Crawford res. I have never been there but, plan a trip while camping at Blue Mesa.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I've given a ton of info on it....searching would be a good plan.

It is full of yellow perch and black crappie. Since the illegally introduced pike in the early to mid 90's, the yellow perch population has improved a lot and now there are some lunkers to 13 or 14". The fishery is fairly healthy right now. The crappies can grow to large sizes, sometimes 14 or 15". The pike can be fairly big also, but are not like during the boom because the no bag limit and other poor management. Take care with the pike, keeping a small one or two probably wouldn't hurt but if you get a nice fish it should go back. There are some slimy stocker rainbows and they put a bunch of 5" browns in it for some odd reason this year. There are also quite a few nice largemouth bass, and the occaisional smallmouth bass. There was a boom of common carp during the drought and in my opinion they have hurt the fishery a little bit (not the pike like DOW claims though). There are also channel catfish.

·
Registered
246 Posts
We fished Crawford last Sunday, had an 8 year old crappie lover, so mostly fished for crappie. Caught over 100 easy, mostly hand size, but a few to 12". Fish anywhere on edges with flooded willows, the lake is spilling. Caught several 12-14" rbt trolling shad raps, plus a few small bass on jig worms. Overall a fine day especially watching an upcoming pro catch his favorite panfish every 5 minutes.(best in the afternoon, tie to the willows, south side.)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. We are looking forward to a trip to Crawford in the next couple of weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts