Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to fish crawford w/ me this ice season? Seemed many people expressed that though last year. Ice should be ready in a week and I will probably be fishing it sometime in late dec or early jan so let me know...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I might head up that way... Its just so hard to drive past all those good fishing holes on the way. :p

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
Anyone want to fish crawford w/ me this ice season? Seemed many people expressed that though last year. Ice should be ready in a week and I will probably be fishing it sometime in late dec or early jan so let me know...
TFB:

How far and long of a drive is it from Gunnison? What kind of species do you catch there?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1.5-2 hrs from gunnison if you go my way but I think there is a way to make it like 1 hr. not sure though. lots of nice Northerns, a bunch of nice yellow perch, a few big crappie, a few stocker bows. Also largemouth, the rare brown, and catfish that I didn't catch last season.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey TFB, I think we were going to still make the trip out there the 1st or 2nd week in Jan. We would love to see you out there to show us the ropes. I'll let your know for sure in a few weeks.
Tyler-

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
1.5-2 hrs from gunnison if you go my way but I think there is a way to make it like 1 hr. not sure though. lots of nice Northerns, a bunch of nice yellow perch, a few big crappie, a few stocker bows. Also largemouth, the rare brown, and catfish that I didn't catch last season.
TFB:

What is your way? And do you know the 1 hour way. Considering making this the 1st day of our 3 day trip. We stay in Gunnison.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm not sure what his way is but if I were staying in Gunnison I would take the highway on the north rim of the canyon. Go to Blue Mesa, and when you get to the west end of the lake hang a right and go across the dam, that highway takes you right to Crawford. It's kind of a windy road the first half of it,but a beautiful drive, and as far as I know the shortest way from Gunnison to Crawford.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Mapquest says 68.27 miles...and the map appears to be the route you were talking about...

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact time, alot just depends on road conditions, there are some places about 12 to 15 miles from the dam that stay pretty shady and can be slick, but they're short stretches. most of the road gets pretty good sun and melts off. the first 15 miles is pretty winding and 30 to 40mph is about all you're going to do, but after that i straightens out and is pretty good driving. watch for critters on the road there's alot of 'em over there. and if you have to swerve go to the right, it's a loooong way down to the left.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a friend that lives about a mile down the highway from the lake, I'll try and talk to him and see if he's tried it yet or heard anything about it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
beer is correct about his info about how to get there from gunnison.

me, I live in fruita, so I go to delta, turn left just after you are in to delta, and head towards hotchkiss. Sorry, forget the road names but I could find my way their blind.....lol.

27th would be a good plan should be the time I'm there.

sorry beer, won't be there in mid jan. That is the time of year I start focusing on lakers.

·
Registered
217 Posts
FISHNBEER said:
Hey TFB, I think we were going to still make the trip out there the 1st or 2nd week in Jan. We would love to see you out there to show us the ropes. I'll let your know for sure in a few weeks.
Tyler-
I might go out in Jan. We had a great time there last year over MLK weekend. I was surprised we didn't get more Northerns, but we caught perch like you wouldn't believe. Let me know when you are going, I'll see if I can swing it!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
6-8" of ice on crawford according to someone on another site.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Talked to a buddy last night who lives near Crawford and he said even though he hasn't been on Crawford yet, he thought maybe the ice was still a little iffy ??? Anybody got a real report? Ice thickness and any fishing reports be good!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have fished crawford four times so far first time early dec. reat at holidays caught 4 perch 1 trout first trip since have caught several perch few crappie one catfish. the fish are deep 30 + feet of water. mid morning seems to be best bite.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts