Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do u put a whole worm on the hooks> ive never used them. do u weight it down with anything when trolling?

·
Registered
15 Posts
i always use a whole worm and there are different ways to get them down. you can use bottom bouncers or if you dont want to use weight you can go with a dipsy/jet diver or downriggers if you have them.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I use the whole worm as well, bottom bouncers are the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I use the whole worm too. I also use a bottom bouncer or a walking weight. Thats what I do in the winter to keep me busy.....make harnesses.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
I've made a couple harnesses and they actually worked well! Something I've just started doing is simply adding a blade and a few beads to the end of my 6 or 8 lb test line.Add half a worm or a leech and there ya go!It seems to get more bites but you will lose some gear.Doesnt cost much tho'.This is my "stealth harness" method.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Pretty much the same as everyone has said before. Use the whole crawler. I perfer the harnesses with only two hooks. I think it allows the crawler to float alittle freer. If you're getting alot of short strikes, go to a 3 hook harness, or slow down your trolling speed.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just got my lil bass boat so i dont know anything about trolling, with the bottom bouncer, how much line should i put between this and the crawler rig?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just snap it straight to the bottom bouncer. You can also lindy rig them so the walleye doesnt feel any weight.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Mustang said:
i just got my lil bass boat so i dont know anything about trolling, with the bottom bouncer, how much line should i put between this and the crawler rig?
If your making your own i'd make some 3ft and some 7ft and inbetween. Add floats to some and not the others. It all depends on the bottom.

[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anyone tried using leaches either rubber or real in the harness? I like the durability of a leach especially when you are scrapping the bottom.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I've used Berkley's Bungee leech on a harness.  Give the tab that keeps it curled a tug to release the full length of the tail.  They work well.  They are very pliable and not as durable as some of the other berkley products but you can generally catch several fish on one.

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts