Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have all done it. Pulled hair off the dog.... Shaved an eye brow... So whats the crazist thing you've tied into a fly..... Also whats the crazist fly you'll tried that sounded good in your head but now u have to laugh at it everytime u see it in the box...

I will go to people i fish with to answer this. I have a buddy that ties all his hares ears out of golden retriever.... I will say I knocked them at Delanney this year using it so I may have to trade in my lab for a retriever....

For anyone thats ever fished the green river and stopped at one of the lunch holes knows u can feed huge trout with bread,cheetos,grapes hell those fish will eat anything...

So my Dad one night decides its time to tie a bread fly which with a marker he throws in a little bologna inbetween 2 pieces of foam. Now the fish aren't quite that stupid but i will say everytime we sit down for lunch i always rib him about his famous bread fly..........

I can only imagine some of the things used for flies so i thought i'd get a laugh out of some of the things u guys use....

Fish

·
Registered
176 Posts
We fish the green all the time, one of our fishin buddies thinks hes a tying genius, so to get him fired up on our last trip, I tied him a few treats. I called it the "PB special". It looks like a crazy streamer that I assured him would do the trick! I tied it with a generous amount of my own home grown short and curlies(Pubes!), some foil and some grey dubbing. He analyzed these flies for ever the night before, he even smelled them- he complimented me on them and said he would definitely use them. Every one in camp wanted one, until I told them what it was- and explained not to tell the recipient until he started fishing with em. Sure enough, first hole he tied one on, and actually got a big brown to follow, we were all rolling on the beach laughing are asses off- when we clued him in- he was pissed!!!!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Does that qualify as a thread killer? ::) I don't quite know how to follow that up. Anyway, don't overlook that lab. My black lab mix's fur is perfect for the wings/legs of the pheasant tails I tie and my beagle has been the donor for a number of flies--it's great having a tri-colored hound, and besides, she's a great hunting dog.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Game home one morning to the after effects of a bachelorette party the night before. There was a large bag of party favors on the table including some rubber pencil toppers shapped like little johnsons. Feeling bored later that day I decided to turn one into a popper, complete with a white antron and flash tail. Have yet to fish with it, but know it has to catch something. We named it the Rocky Mountain C&B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts